Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Henning Thielemann

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, David Feuer wrote:

> It's that time again. I'd very much like to drop containers support
> for GHC version 7.0 (so I can increase the lower bound on array to 0.4
> for Safe Haskell-related reasons). I'd also prefer to drop support for
> GHC versions 7.2 and 7.4, but I'm somewhat open to being convinced not
> to. What do you all think?

I am still mainly using GHC-7.4.2.

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Daniel Cartwright
I am +1 on this.

GHC 7.0 is 8 years old
GHC 7.2 is 7 years old
GHC 7.4 is 6 years old

On a related note, I find it strange when looking through source code for 'containers'/other Haskell libraries and still see notes about supporting non-GHC Haskell compilers (e.g. Hugs)

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, Daniel Cartwright wrote:

> I am +1 on this.
> GHC 7.0 is 8 years old
> GHC 7.2 is 7 years old
> GHC 7.4 is 6 years old
>
> On a related note, I find it strange when looking through source code for 'containers'/other Haskell libraries
> and still see notes about supporting non-GHC Haskell compilers (e.g. Hugs)

Recently we got to install Hugs on a Lego machine - installation required
several minutes. I would not try to install GHC there.

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

David Feuer
On Mar 9, 2018 10:55 AM, "Daniel Cartwright" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On a related note, I find it strange when looking through source code for 'containers'/other Haskell libraries and still see notes about supporting non-GHC Haskell compilers (e.g. Hugs)

I believe we've stripped all references to Hugs and nhc98 from containers. If you find any, let us know. I'd be interested in adding support for Frege, but the way it deals with numeric literals could be problematic.

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Henning Thielemann

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, Tom Ellis wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 04:42:21PM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, David Feuer wrote:
>>
>> >It's that time again. I'd very much like to drop containers support
>> >for GHC version 7.0 (so I can increase the lower bound on array to 0.4
>> >for Safe Haskell-related reasons). I'd also prefer to drop support for
>> >GHC versions 7.2 and 7.4, but I'm somewhat open to being convinced not
>> >to. What do you all think?
>>
>> I am still mainly using GHC-7.4.2.
>
> I'm rather curious why!

GHC-7.8.4 is the last compiler that prevents me from "length (1,2)" but it
has a bug in the optimizer that leads to a compiler crash. So I have the
choice between GHC-7.6.3 and GHC-7.4.2.

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

David Feuer
How would you feel about switching to 7.6.3? That would definitely make my life easier. I have to warn you, however, that we will not support 7.6 or 7.8 forever. We'll probably drop 7.6 in another year or two, and 7.8 in another two or three.

On Mar 9, 2018 11:15 AM, "Henning Thielemann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, Tom Ellis wrote:

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 04:42:21PM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, David Feuer wrote:

>It's that time again. I'd very much like to drop containers support
>for GHC version 7.0 (so I can increase the lower bound on array to 0.4
>for Safe Haskell-related reasons). I'd also prefer to drop support for
>GHC versions 7.2 and 7.4, but I'm somewhat open to being convinced not
>to. What do you all think?

I am still mainly using GHC-7.4.2.

I'm rather curious why!

GHC-7.8.4 is the last compiler that prevents me from "length (1,2)" but it has a bug in the optimizer that leads to a compiler crash. So I have the choice between GHC-7.6.3 and GHC-7.4.2.

Re: Dropping containers support for old GHC versions

Adam Bergmark-2
I appreciate that it may be hard/undesirable for some to use the latest GHC, but overall I don't think we should need to maintain backwards compatibility indefinitely because of that. Older versions of containers will still work with older GHCs, and other libraries depending on containers will still work as well as long as they support older container versions.

But nevertheless, at least it seems there are no objections to dropping 7.0 and 7.2.2 support so far? :)

Cheers,
Adam