Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Gabor Greif-2
Hi Ben,

I was wondering why my pull request (merely to trigger a bit more of
CI than what I have at my local disposal) was suddenly failing (1),
when it worked in a previous incarnation (2).

It turns out that either CI or the entire tree is broken since (3)
being the last sound one.

Looks like x86-64 is affected on the linux platform only. Darwin seems
to work, i386 too, and my PR (2) has been validated for PPC64le
recently.

So this is just a heads up that there is something fishy with
github->CircleCI (at least).

Cheers,

     Gabor

(1) https://circleci.com/gh/ghc/ghc/tree/pull/242
(2) https://circleci.com/gh/ghc/ghc/tree/pull/224
(3) https://circleci.com/gh/ghc/ghc/tree/pull/239

On 12/21/18, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ara Adkins <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hey All,
>>
>> Sorry for my confusion, but I'm a bit unclear as to when we're meant to
>> start working against the GHC repo on the gitlab.haskell.org instance. I
>> had in mind that the cutover was intended to be the 18th, but going on
>> there it still appears as if it's mirrored from git.haskell.org. Can
>> somebody clarify this for me?
>>
> Sorry for the confusion. I have been reluctant to formally announce the
> cut-over until CI is green but this has taken a fair bit longer than
> anticipated due to the long CI cycle time. Nevertheless people have
> started submitting MRs against the GitLab instance and you are more than
> welcome to do so.
>
> As far as the official upstream repository, indeed
> gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc is still mirroring git.haskell.org/ghc. This
> will change when I formally announce the switchover.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>
>
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Ben Gamari-2
Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
Hi Gabor,

> I was wondering why my pull request (merely to trigger a bit more of
> CI than what I have at my local disposal) was suddenly failing (1),
> when it worked in a previous incarnation (2).
>
> It turns out that either CI or the entire tree is broken since (3)
> being the last sound one.
>
Indeed CircleCI recently revised their billing policies and consequently
we have lost the ability to use the large instance sizes which we were
previously using for our builds. Sadly GHC builds do not reliably finish
on the instances we still do have access to due to memory and build time
constraints. It appears that this may be the cause of the failures in
your build (1).

This billing change was the reason why I have been moving our CI
infrastructure to GitLab. Unfortunately in the chaos it looks like I
neglected to forward the ghc-devops thread describing the situation [2]
to ghc-devs. Sorry for the confusion!

I'm going to draft a summary email describing the state of the GitLab
transition right now.

Cheers,

- Ben


[2] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devops-group/2018-December/000273.html

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Gabor Greif-2
Hi Ben,

thanks for the explanation, that indeed makes sense. I suspected some
runaway optimisation, since the GHC seemed to crash on the same small
set of sources.

On a related note, even after rebasing to master, the linter of
ghc/ghc!10 doesn't appear to kick in, blocking (and timing out) the
test pipeline: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ggreif/ghc/pipelines/428

It looks like there are no "lint" runners available.

Cheers and thanks,

    Gabor

On 12/22/18, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi Ben,
>>
> Hi Gabor,
>
>> I was wondering why my pull request (merely to trigger a bit more of
>> CI than what I have at my local disposal) was suddenly failing (1),
>> when it worked in a previous incarnation (2).
>>
>> It turns out that either CI or the entire tree is broken since (3)
>> being the last sound one.
>>
> Indeed CircleCI recently revised their billing policies and consequently
> we have lost the ability to use the large instance sizes which we were
> previously using for our builds. Sadly GHC builds do not reliably finish
> on the instances we still do have access to due to memory and build time
> constraints. It appears that this may be the cause of the failures in
> your build (1).
>
> This billing change was the reason why I have been moving our CI
> infrastructure to GitLab. Unfortunately in the chaos it looks like I
> neglected to forward the ghc-devops thread describing the situation [2]
> to ghc-devs. Sorry for the confusion!
>
> I'm going to draft a summary email describing the state of the GitLab
> transition right now.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>
>
> [2]
> https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devops-group/2018-December/000273.html
>
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Gabor Greif-2
(following-up own mail)

This seems resolved too. I have submitted my branch into the main
repo, and now the pipeline is executing :-)

Still, do we want running pipelines for external contributors too?

    Gabor

On 12/22/18, Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> thanks for the explanation, that indeed makes sense. I suspected some
> runaway optimisation, since the GHC seemed to crash on the same small
> set of sources.
>
> On a related note, even after rebasing to master, the linter of
> ghc/ghc!10 doesn't appear to kick in, blocking (and timing out) the
> test pipeline: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ggreif/ghc/pipelines/428
>
> It looks like there are no "lint" runners available.
>
> Cheers and thanks,
>
>     Gabor
>
> On 12/22/18, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Ben,
>>>
>> Hi Gabor,
>>
>>> I was wondering why my pull request (merely to trigger a bit more of
>>> CI than what I have at my local disposal) was suddenly failing (1),
>>> when it worked in a previous incarnation (2).
>>>
>>> It turns out that either CI or the entire tree is broken since (3)
>>> being the last sound one.
>>>
>> Indeed CircleCI recently revised their billing policies and consequently
>> we have lost the ability to use the large instance sizes which we were
>> previously using for our builds. Sadly GHC builds do not reliably finish
>> on the instances we still do have access to due to memory and build time
>> constraints. It appears that this may be the cause of the failures in
>> your build (1).
>>
>> This billing change was the reason why I have been moving our CI
>> infrastructure to GitLab. Unfortunately in the chaos it looks like I
>> neglected to forward the ghc-devops thread describing the situation [2]
>> to ghc-devs. Sorry for the confusion!
>>
>> I'm going to draft a summary email describing the state of the GitLab
>> transition right now.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> - Ben
>>
>>
>> [2]
>> https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devops-group/2018-December/000273.html
>>
>
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Ben Gamari-2
Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> writes:

> (following-up own mail)
>
> This seems resolved too. I have submitted my branch into the main
> repo, and now the pipeline is executing :-)
>
> Still, do we want running pipelines for external contributors too?
>
Indeed we do. Small oversight on my part; now fixed.

Thanks!

Cheers,

- Ben

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Gabor Greif-2
Yeah, it starts now, thanks!

However it won't terminate due to a restrictive time limit of 60 mins.
Can we have 120?

    Gabor

On 12/22/18, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> (following-up own mail)
>>
>> This seems resolved too. I have submitted my branch into the main
>> repo, and now the pipeline is executing :-)
>>
>> Still, do we want running pipelines for external contributors too?
>>
> Indeed we do. Small oversight on my part; now fixed.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Matthew Pickering
Gabor, you can configure this yourself.

1. Go to https://gitlab.haskell.org/ggreif/ghc/settings/ci_cd
2. Expand the top drop-down "General pipelines"
3. Set the timeout to 6h

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 2:30 PM Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Yeah, it starts now, thanks!
>
> However it won't terminate due to a restrictive time limit of 60 mins.
> Can we have 120?
>
>     Gabor
>
> On 12/22/18, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> >> (following-up own mail)
> >>
> >> This seems resolved too. I have submitted my branch into the main
> >> repo, and now the pipeline is executing :-)
> >>
> >> Still, do we want running pipelines for external contributors too?
> >>
> > Indeed we do. Small oversight on my part; now fixed.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > - Ben
> >
> _______________________________________________
> ghc-devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GitLab Migration (CI heads-up)

Ben Gamari-2
In reply to this post by Gabor Greif-2
Gabor Greif <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yeah, it starts now, thanks!
>
> However it won't terminate due to a restrictive time limit of 60 mins.
> Can we have 120?
>
I have actually changed the default to six hours since Windows builds tend
to easily eat through three hours at least. I've made this change on
your fork.

Cheers,

- Ben

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment