Re: Haskell Crypto Cabal

Dominic Steinitz
On Saturday 04 Feb 2006 12:05 am, Charles \ wrote:

> Hi Dominic,
>
> I've been experimenting today with creating a rough debian/ directory
> for creating a package of crypto version 2.0.3.  I'm not sure if you
> have experience with debian.  I basically copied the NewBinary debian/
> directory and looked as well at the http library's debian directory
> and read some of the Debian manuals.  A strange problem arises when
> trying to build the examples where the Crypto library hasn't actually
> been installed yet so when it starts to build BERTest it throws an
> error:
>
> ./Codec/Utils.hs:1:0:
>     Module `Codec.Utils' is a member of package Crypto-2.0.3.
>     To compile this module, please use -ignore-package Crypto-2.0.3.
> ./setup build files: 256 at /usr/bin/dh_haskell_buildinst line 167,
> <COMPAT_IN> line 1.
> make: *** [install] Error 1
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?  Should I just remove the test binaries from
> this cabal file or should I contact the maintainer for dh_haskell and
> ask him to look into a solution for the issue.
>
> I'm still a newbie to haskell so forgive me if this is trivial.
>
> peace,
> core
Charles,

The message is saying you already have Crypto-2.0.3 installed and the compiler
has found something of the same name on its search path.

I don't know what dh_haskell is. Is it something to do with Cabal?

I get this message when I am playing around in the source tree so I use
-ignore-package so that everything gets picked from my current sources rather
than using the installed package.

I know nothing about debian (although I am planning to move to it if I ever
get the time). I'd suggest using ghc-pkg to see what's installed (as far as
ghc is concerned) and then use one of the options to remove Crypto and try
building again.

Dom.

Re: Haskell Crypto Cabal

John Goerzen-3
Charles,

You probably don't need to build BERTest for installation in the Debian
package.  You may want to build it for execution at build time, to
assert that the code works.  You may want to install the source as an
example if it's useful as an example.

It is presently fairly difficult to compile a library and code that uses
it from the same source tree, unless they all use the same .cabal file.
See haskell-hsql and missingh for examples.

When you're building for Hugs, this is considerably easier, since you
can just pass appropriate args to it.

-- John

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming

Re: Haskell Crypto Cabal

Charles "core" Stevenson
Dom.,

On 2/4/06, Dominic Steinitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know what dh_haskell is. Is it something to do with Cabal?

Sort of... it's a Debian helper tool which checks for the existence of
a Cabal file in order to automate a large portion of creating a Debian
Haskell package.  So... but no worries it's not important here.

> I know nothing about debian (although I am planning to move to it if I ever
> get the time). I'd suggest using ghc-pkg to see what's installed (as far as
> ghc is concerned) and then use one of the options to remove Crypto and try
> building again.

Ahhh... now this is what I needed.  Thanks so much! :-)  ghc-pkg
reveals that during my initial build and install with --user (which I
FORGOT about ;-) that it was indeed finding the package.  This answers
my question:

/home/core/.ghc/i386-linux-6.4/package.conf:
    Crypto-2.0.3

Thanks for the help and I hope you find time to explore the world of
Debian or one of its derivatives sometime.  What's the best way to go
about submitting a patch for the initial hack at a debian/ directory
for inclusion in the darcs repository?  It still needs some work but
will be a great way to make this more accessible to Debian and Ubuntu
users.  The Http and NewBinary packages already have the appropriate
scripts so this seems like the right thing to do.

Thanks again for all the help and creating a thorough Cabal file.

peace,
core