Re: [Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: HNOP 0.1

Bugzilla from robdockins@fastmail.fm
[moved to cafe]

On Jun 30, 2006, at 4:01 AM, Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> In article
> <[hidden email]
> >,
>  "Bayley, Alistair" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Cool, that's awesome. But I don't see any Haddock docs? Or a Cabal
>> Setup.hs? Would it be much trouble to add them?
>
> Bear in mind HNOP compiles just to an executable file, so it doesn't
> really have a Haskell API.
>
> One interesting line of development would be to spin off the core
> functionality into a separate library, to provide no-op services to
> other Haskell applications.

I'm sorry; I know this is a serious discussion (either that or
everyone involved in this discussion has a more subtle sense of humor
than I), but this sentence made me laugh out loud...  :-)

"no-op services"?  That's just great!

> I'm thinking something like this:
>
>   noop :: IO ()  -- generalise to other Monads?
>
> This would actually not be too hard to write, given my existing work,
> and then of course the executable would simply be a thin wrapper.
>
> --
> Ashley Yakeley
> Seattle WA

Rob Dockins

Speak softly and drive a Sherman tank.
           -- TMBG

RE: Re: [Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: HNOP 0.1

Bayley, Alistair-2
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Robert Dockins
>
> [moved to cafe]
>
> On Jun 30, 2006, at 4:01 AM, Ashley Yakeley wrote:
>
> > In article
> >
> <[hidden email]
> scap.net
> > >,
> >  "Bayley, Alistair" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Cool, that's awesome. But I don't see any Haddock docs? Or a Cabal
> >> Setup.hs? Would it be much trouble to add them?
> >
> > Bear in mind HNOP compiles just to an executable file, so it doesn't
> > really have a Haskell API.
> >
> > One interesting line of development would be to spin off the core
> > functionality into a separate library, to provide no-op services to
> > other Haskell applications.
>

> I'm sorry; I know this is a serious discussion (either that or
> everyone involved in this discussion has a more subtle sense
> of humor
> than I), but this sentence made me laugh out loud...  :-)
>
> "no-op services"?  That's just great!

Initially I assumed it was just a joke, and my response was meant to be
tongue-in-cheek (why would you need Haddock docs for this!?), but there
has been a semi-serious thread about the executable size, so who knows
anymore...

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is

Re: [Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: HNOP 0.1

Neil Mitchell
> > It would be interesting to compile it with John Meacham's Jhc, which
> > claims to leave very little overhead in its executables. I know the
> > current Jhc has a limit on total program size, but the current HNOP at
> > least may slip under the wire (and I don't make any use of arrays, so it
> > shouldn't be too slow).
>
> ; jhc -v Main.hs
> 6Kb

yhc Main.hs