Re: [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Re: [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Henk-Jan van Tuyl
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 16:21:15 +0100, David Blubaugh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> TO ALL,
> Hello My name is David Allen Blubaugh.  I am currently considering
> starting a kick-starter project in redeveloping the DOOM source code
> with the Haskell Programming language using the power of
> functional-oriented programming......
> I know that John Carmack was interested in the Haskell programming
> language and had even recreated wolfenstein 3D using the Haskell
> programming language. Does anybody have a copy of John Carmack's
> recreation of wolfenstein 3D using haskell ??? Also would anybody enjoy
> working with this project ???  What benefits would DOOM have enjoyed had
> ID software created the DOOM source code in 1993 with Haskell or some
> other functional-oriented programming language  instead of C/assembly
> programming languages ???  Thanks,
> David Allen BlubaughElectrical EngineerATR Associate

I don't know about his source code, but the Games page[0] lists:
  - hadoom
      A clone of Doom, using reactive-banana, GTK, and the "diagrams"
library.
      https://github.com/ocharles/hadoom
  - Frag
      A 3D first person shooting game
      https://wiki.haskell.org/Frag

These might be helpful.

Advantages, when developing software in Haskell, are faster development
with fewer bugs. Disadvantages are: the compiled programs are slower then
when written in C and the garbage collection of a Haskell program (when
compiled with GHC) might sometimes cause delays in screen updates.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

[0] https://wiki.haskell.org/Games

--
Folding@home
us closer sooner. Watch the video.

http://Van.Tuyl.eu/
Haskell programming

Re: [Haskell] [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Ben Lippmeier-2

On 7 Dec 2015, at 4:19 am, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

LambdaCube 3D Quake level renderer:

Ben.

Re: [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Oliver Charles-3
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> TO ALL,
> Hello My name is David Allen Blubaugh.  I am currently considering
> starting a kick-starter project in redeveloping the DOOM source code
> with the Haskell Programming language using the power of
> functional-oriented programming......
> I know that John Carmack was interested in the Haskell programming
> language and had even recreated wolfenstein 3D using the Haskell
> programming language. Does anybody have a copy of John Carmack's
> recreation of wolfenstein 3D using haskell ??? Also would anybody enjoy
> working with this project ???  What benefits would DOOM have enjoyed had
> ID software created the DOOM source code in 1993 with Haskell or some
> other functional-oriented programming language  instead of C/assembly
> programming languages ???  Thanks,
> David Allen BlubaughElectrical EngineerATR Associate

I don't know about his source code, but the Games page[0] lists:
  - hadoom
      A clone of Doom, using reactive-banana, GTK, and the "diagrams"
library.
      https://github.com/ocharles/hadoom

Possibly worth noting that hadoom is not a source-port of Doom - it's inspired by Doom's approach to level editing (2.5D), but beyond that there isn't much cross over. For example, I use full triangulation for rendering via OpenGL, rather than building my own rendering engine. The level format is also different from WAD.

Ollie

Re: [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Alexander Berntsen

Re: [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Sumit Sahrawat, Maths & Computing,
 IIT (BHU)
I'm interested in game development, and would be willing to learn and contribute if the project kicks off.

Just showing my support, good luck with the project.

On 7 December 2015 at 16:24, Alexander Berntsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Regards

Sumit Sahrawat

Re: [Haskell] [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Patrick Redmond
I'd also like to show support and participate in building this out if work is needed. Contact me when/if that happens!

On Monday, December 7, 2015, Sumit Sahrawat, Maths & Computing, IIT (BHU) <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm interested in game development, and would be willing to learn and contribute if the project kicks off.

Just showing my support, good luck with the project.

On 7 December 2015 at 16:24, Alexander Berntsen <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;alexander@plaimi.net&#39;);" target="_blank">alexander@...> wrote:

Regards

Sumit Sahrawat

Re: [Haskell] [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Henning Thielemann

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Patrick Redmond wrote:

> I'd also like to show support and participate in building this out if work is needed. Contact me when/if that happens!

[hidden email] is an announcement list. Please continue discussion in
haskell-cafe etc.