Re: [Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: lens-family 2.0.0 anniversary edition!

Re: [Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: lens-family 2.0.0 anniversary edition!

Oliver Charles-3
* '_Left' and '_Right' have been renamed as 'lft_' and 'rgt_'.

Why? I fail to see the benefit of such a breaking change.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 3:53 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In celebration of the 10th anniversary of Twan van Laarhoven's seminal
> blog post ``CPS based functional references''[1], I am releasing version
> 2.0 of lens-family[2] and lens-family-core[3] packages.  This new release
> continues to explore the design of Van Laarhoven style optics with new
> support for adapters, grates, grids[4], and prisms.
>
> To bring support to these new optics necessarily means moving a little
> further away from syntactic compatibility with Kmett's lens library.
> In particular, lens-family's 'under' is unrelated to Kmett's lens
> library's 'under' combinator.  Nonetheless the 'under' combinator plays
> a crucial role in lens-family as a dual to the 'over' combinator and
> this naming is hard to resist despite the conflict.
>
> This new version comes with some minor incompatibilities with the version
> 1.2 library that may require user updates.
> See <https://hackage.haskell.org/package/lens-family-2.0.0/changelog>.
>
> [1]<https://www.twanvl.nl/blog/haskell/cps-functional-references>
> [2]<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/lens-family-2.0.0>
> [3]<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/lens-family-core-2.0.0>
> [4]A grid is an optic that is both a grate and a traversal.
>
> --
> Russell O'Connor                                      <http://r6.ca/>

Re: [Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: lens-family 2.0.0 anniversary edition!

roconnor
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019, Oliver Charles wrote:

> * '_Left' and '_Right' have been renamed as 'lft_' and 'rgt_'.
>
> Why? I fail to see the benefit of such a breaking change.

I have a new convention that 'foo_' is defined as 'under foo' (or
something similar).

Naturally, users can stick with the 1.2 release of lens-family if it
suits their needs.

--
Russell O'Connor                                      <http://r6.ca/>
``My friends, love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.

Re: [Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: lens-family 2.0.0 anniversary edition!

Artyom Kazak-2
> Naturally, users can stick with the 1.2 release of lens-family if it
> suits their needs.

You can not easily have two versions of the same library in your dependency tree. So, only application developers will be able to stick to the 1.2 release without creating obstacles for the rest of the ecosystem.