Re: [Haskell-cafe] [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Re: [Haskell-cafe] [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Oliver Charles-3
On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 5:19 PM Henk-Jan van Tuyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 16:21:15 +0100, David Blubaugh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> TO ALL,
> Hello My name is David Allen Blubaugh.  I am currently considering
> starting a kick-starter project in redeveloping the DOOM source code
> with the Haskell Programming language using the power of
> functional-oriented programming......
> I know that John Carmack was interested in the Haskell programming
> language and had even recreated wolfenstein 3D using the Haskell
> programming language. Does anybody have a copy of John Carmack's
> recreation of wolfenstein 3D using haskell ??? Also would anybody enjoy
> working with this project ???  What benefits would DOOM have enjoyed had
> ID software created the DOOM source code in 1993 with Haskell or some
> other functional-oriented programming language  instead of C/assembly
> programming languages ???  Thanks,
> David Allen BlubaughElectrical EngineerATR Associate

I don't know about his source code, but the Games page[0] lists:
  - hadoom
      A clone of Doom, using reactive-banana, GTK, and the "diagrams"
library.
      https://github.com/ocharles/hadoom

Possibly worth noting that hadoom is not a source-port of Doom - it's inspired by Doom's approach to level editing (2.5D), but beyond that there isn't much cross over. For example, I use full triangulation for rendering via OpenGL, rather than building my own rendering engine. The level format is also different from WAD.

Ollie