Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: #haskell works

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello Simon,

> Fixing it all properly means some fairly significant architectural changes,
> and dropping the via-C backend

oh, thank you. from my POV, C backend still may be used together with
"non-registerized" compilers. in particular, i hope that win-x64 will
be supported at least in this way

noone asked my question about plans of win-x64 support. it's important
for my users, so i ask you again - can you please implement it?

to other GHC users: i'm pretty sure that win-x64 support will not be
implemented if it's required only for me. so, if someone need it -
please write about this to ghc debelopers

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: #haskell works

Duncan Coutts

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 16:54 +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> Thursday, December 20, 2007, 4:01:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Fixing it all properly means some fairly significant architectural changes,
> > and dropping the via-C backend
>
> oh, thank you. from my POV, C backend still may be used together with
> "non-registerized" compilers.

Yes, the non-registerised C backend will remain to support those arches
without a native code generator (sparc, hppa, alpha, arm etc). It's only
the high performance registerised C backend that will go away (since
having to retain binary compatibility with the registerised C backend is
holding back progress of the native backend).

> noone asked my question about plans of win-x64 support. it's important
> for my users, so i ask you again - can you please implement it?
>
> to other GHC users: i'm pretty sure that win-x64 support will not be
> implemented if it's required only for me. so, if someone need it -
> please write about this to ghc debelopers

Or better yet, try the port yourself and send patches! :-)

Several people outside GHC HQ have done ports to other platforms. The
process is reasonably well documented in the GHC developer wiki. So
there is no need for you to wait for it to become a priority at GHC HQ.

Duncan

Re: [Haskell-cafe] Re: #haskell works

Simon Marlow-5
Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello Simon,
>
> Thursday, December 20, 2007, 4:01:59 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Fixing it all properly means some fairly significant architectural changes,
>> and dropping the via-C backend
>
> oh, thank you. from my POV, C backend still may be used together with
> "non-registerized" compilers. in particular, i hope that win-x64 will
> be supported at least in this way
>
> noone asked my question about plans of win-x64 support. it's important
> for my users, so i ask you again - can you please implement it?
>
> to other GHC users: i'm pretty sure that win-x64 support will not be
> implemented if it's required only for me. so, if someone need it -
> please write about this to ghc debelopers

It'll get implemented when (a) there is a working mingw64, and (b) it is
important enough to enough people.  As I understand it, (a) is getting
closer, but there's still no official release.

My guess is that it's a couple of weeks' work.  Win64 is quite different
from the x86-64 Unix ABI: the calling convention is different, which means
that all the FFI stuff has to be ported (the NCG foreign call support, GHCi
foreign calls, rts/Adjustor.c).  It took me a few days to get these working
for x86-64 on Unix.

What's more, while x86-64 on Unix is nicer in many ways than the 32-bit
ABI, Win64 is significantly more horrible than Win32 (just MHO based on
memories of reading a couple of MSDN articles), so I don't expect it to be
a very enjoyable couple of weeks work :)