Re: Visual Haskell will not Install with Visual Studio 2005, Express Edition

Re: Visual Haskell will not Install with Visual Studio 2005, Express Edition

Esa Ilari Vuokko
Hi,

On 7/27/07, Sean Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there some way to install Visual Haskell with VS2005, Express? Perhaps
> some workaround or hack?

It's probably impossible.  Feature matrix for Visual Studio products says
"Use 3rd party controls and content. No Macros, Add-ins or Packages". [1]

Best regards,
Esa

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

RE: Visual Haskell will not Install with Visual Studio 2005, Express Edition

sethk
It won't install with the full edition either.

On 7/27/07, Sean Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there some way to install Visual Haskell with VS2005, Express? Perhaps
> some workaround or hack?

It's probably impossible.  Feature matrix for Visual Studio products says
"Use 3rd party controls and content. No Macros, Add-ins or Packages". [1]

Best regards,
Esa

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

Re: Visual Haskell will not Install with Visual Studio 2005, Express Edition

Duncan Coutts
On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 23:51 -0700, Sean Johnson wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Is there some way to install Visual Haskell with VS2005, Express?
> Perhaps some workaround or hack?

I believe that free version of VS is specifically designed not to allow
any plugins, you have to pay for the the full version for that sadly.

As a free alternative, emacs and eclipse have Haskell modes and many
other editors have Haskell syntax highlighting.

Duncan

RE: Visual Haskell will not Install with Visual Studio 2005, Express Edition

sethk
I was not aware of the Eclipse support, so thanks for that information.

However, Visual Haskell will not install on the full version of Visual
Studio 2005 either.

To make sure this was not an issue specific to my installation, I completely
wiped a disk, installed Windows, installed Visual Studio 2005, and then
attempted to install Visual Haskell.  A fatal error occurs near the end of
the install.

I don't have the error text in front of me, but I'll send an email tomorrow
when I'll have access to it.

Seth Kurtzberg
Software Engineer
Specializing in Security, Reliability, and the Hardware/Software Interface

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 23:51 -0700, Sean Johnson wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Is there some way to install Visual Haskell with VS2005, Express?
> Perhaps some workaround or hack?

I believe that free version of VS is specifically designed not to allow
any plugins, you have to pay for the the full version for that sadly.

As a free alternative, emacs and eclipse have Haskell modes and many
other editors have Haskell syntax highlighting.

Duncan

Re: Visual Haskell will not Install with Visual Studio 2005, Express Edition

Simon Marlow-5
Seth Kurtzberg wrote:

> I was not aware of the Eclipse support, so thanks for that information.
>
> However, Visual Haskell will not install on the full version of Visual
> Studio 2005 either.
>
> To make sure this was not an issue specific to my installation, I completely
> wiped a disk, installed Windows, installed Visual Studio 2005, and then
> attempted to install Visual Haskell.  A fatal error occurs near the end of
> the install.
>
> I don't have the error text in front of me, but I'll send an email tomorrow
> when I'll have access to it.

We have an open ticket for Visual Haskell installer problems:

However I haven't heard from Krasimir in a while, so don't hold your breath
for a fix.