Re: compiling hugs

AntC
> I realise this mailing list is long defunct, ...

Hi Sam, defunct but not forgotten. (Sorry I took a while to see your post.)

I've been able to compile some of Hugs. That's on a Windows machine with MinGW/MSys.

I'll probably not be able to help much with GNU/Linux,
but FWIW the bit I couldn't get to compile was exactly the FFI.
Also I had quite a bit of trouble backtracking to Win32:
mine is a 64-bit machine, but I had to run everything in 32-bit mode,
because the config files didn't know anything about 64-bit.

Re FFI: do you need to support foreign functions?
What I did in the end was just take the FFI objects from the distro,
not recompile. (Hack the makefile to make only the /src sub-dir, miss out /libraries, /docs.)

I'm interested only in modifying the language/syntax/semantics,
not building industrial-strength interfaces.

> ... but I am nevertheless interested in compiling hugs on a modern GNU/Linux system,
> primarily motivated by thoughts that are along the lines of

Yes, I thought Joachim was both a hero and foolish for trying. At a guess,
you don't need FFI to bootstrap enough of the language to get a compiler running
with the Prelude(?)
By all means I'm happy for you to bounce ideas around.

AntC