Re: [core libraries] Adding Backwards to base, re-export from Control.Applicative

Re: [core libraries] Adding Backwards to base, re-export from Control.Applicative

Baldur Blöndal
I'll CC Haskell Libraries

þri., 12. nóv. 2019 kl. 22:14 skrifaði Ryan Scott <[hidden email]>:
This discussion definitely belongs on the mailing list, yes.

Ryan

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:59 AM chessai . <[hidden email]> wrote:
I support this. +1

Should we copy in the libraries mailing list?

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, 5:56 AM Baldur Blöndal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it time to move Control.Applicative.Backwards module from transformers to base, and maybe re-export it from Control.Applicative.

It's an interesting, important, simple property of Applicative that they can be run backwards.

Re: [core libraries] Adding Backwards to base, re-export from Control.Applicative

George Wilson
I support this.
It would require coordinating with Ross Paterson, the maintainer of
transformers.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 09:58, Baldur Blöndal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll CC Haskell Libraries
>
> þri., 12. nóv. 2019 kl. 22:14 skrifaði Ryan Scott <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> This discussion definitely belongs on the mailing list, yes.
>>
>> Ryan
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:59 AM chessai . <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I support this. +1
>>>
>>> Should we copy in the libraries mailing list?

Re: [core libraries] Adding Backwards to base, re-export from Control.Applicative

Oleg Grenrus
+1 on adding.

Slight -0.5 on re-exporting from Control.Applicative. I think there
should be a plan of not having both Backwards in Control.Applicative and
Control.Applicative.Backwards. Maybe there's a plan for Const which is
exported from Control.Applicative (historically) and Data.Functor.Const.

- Oleg

On 26.11.2019 2.49, George Wilson wrote:

> I support this.
> It would require coordinating with Ross Paterson, the maintainer of
> transformers.
>
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 at 09:58, Baldur Blöndal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'll CC Haskell Libraries
>>
>> þri., 12. nóv. 2019 kl. 22:14 skrifaði Ryan Scott <[hidden email]>:
>>> This discussion definitely belongs on the mailing list, yes.
>>>
>>> Ryan

Re: [core libraries] Adding Backwards to base, re-export from Control.Applicative

Keith
+1

Was surpised/dismayed that Backwards wasn't in base when I needed it for a project that doesn't expose its transitive dependency on transformers. It seems like fundamental part of Applicative.

--Keith

On November 26, 2019 8:55:05 AM UTC, Oleg Grenrus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Edward Kmett-2
I’m a strong +1 on moving Backwards and Reverse to base. This is basically free for everybody for a nice consistency win.

I’m -1 on exporting them from Control.Applicative. That module is imported unqualified by a significant cross section of the Haskell ecosystem, so this just gratuitously introduces risk of name conflicts for little tangible benefit. In the presence of possible conflicts there I’d err on the side of the status quo over change for change’s sake.

The only real precedent for doing so is that Control.Applicative also gratuitously exports Const, which is more historical accident than precedent to follow.

-Edward