Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Andreas Abel

Dear hackage admins, [CC: [hidden email]]

Another week has passed without action from either package maintainer
or hackage admins.

Am I following this protocol correctly?

  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package

If I am lacking, let me know where, otherwise please do your part.

Sincerly,
Andreas

On 23.04.2014 18:35, Andreas Abel wrote:

> Dear Lennart,
>
> since we want to release Agda-2.3.4 soon to work with ghc-7.8, we
> need a version of geniplate that works with new template haskell.
> All that is required is an update of version bounds in the cabal
> file (attached).
>
> Since you have not responded to our request, I am following
> procedure
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package
>
> to be able to upload an updated version of geniplate.
>
> Dear Hackage admins,
>
> here is proof of my public request for the update of geniplate:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/libraries@.../2014-04/msg00191.html
>
> Please give me rights to upload a new version or do the dependency
> bumps yourself (new cabal file attached).
>
> Cheers, AndreasAbel (hackage account id)

- --

http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Carter Schonwald
since i don't recall seeing the original thread on the libraries list (seriously, i never saw it on the libraries list!), and i don't see the email to lennart, i'm CCing lennart  to double check,

@andreas, what fixes are needed to Geniplate, could you provide a link? If they're conservative, I can upload them as a trustee later this evening, and then we can sort out maintainership in the next week (and not have Agda's ghc-7.8 friendly release be blocked).

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Andreas Abel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear hackage admins, [CC: [hidden email]]

Another week has passed without action from either package maintainer
or hackage admins.

Am I following this protocol correctly?

  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package

If I am lacking, let me know where, otherwise please do your part.

Sincerly,
Andreas

On 23.04.2014 18:35, Andreas Abel wrote:
> Dear Lennart,
>
> since we want to release Agda-2.3.4 soon to work with ghc-7.8, we
> need a version of geniplate that works with new template haskell.
> All that is required is an update of version bounds in the cabal
> file (attached).
>
> Since you have not responded to our request, I am following
> procedure
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package
>
> to be able to upload an updated version of geniplate.
>
> Dear Hackage admins,
>
> here is proof of my public request for the update of geniplate:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/libraries@.../2014-04/msg00191.html
>
> Please give me rights to upload a new version or do the dependency
> bumps yourself (new cabal file attached).
>
> Cheers, AndreasAbel (hackage account id)

- --

http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Carter Schonwald
looks like "I will be on block leave from April 18 to May 5." for Lennart

could you link me to the fixes needed?  I'll ping several other admins for their thoughts, and then if its reasonable i'll do the upload

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
since i don't recall seeing the original thread on the libraries list (seriously, i never saw it on the libraries list!), and i don't see the email to lennart, i'm CCing lennart  to double check,

@andreas, what fixes are needed to Geniplate, could you provide a link? If they're conservative, I can upload them as a trustee later this evening, and then we can sort out maintainership in the next week (and not have Agda's ghc-7.8 friendly release be blocked).

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Andreas Abel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear hackage admins, [CC: [hidden email]]

Another week has passed without action from either package maintainer
or hackage admins.

Am I following this protocol correctly?

  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package

If I am lacking, let me know where, otherwise please do your part.

Sincerly,
Andreas

On 23.04.2014 18:35, Andreas Abel wrote:
> Dear Lennart,
>
> since we want to release Agda-2.3.4 soon to work with ghc-7.8, we
> need a version of geniplate that works with new template haskell.
> All that is required is an update of version bounds in the cabal
> file (attached).
>
> Since you have not responded to our request, I am following
> procedure
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package
>
> to be able to upload an updated version of geniplate.
>
> Dear Hackage admins,
>
> here is proof of my public request for the update of geniplate:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/libraries@.../2014-04/msg00191.html
>
> Please give me rights to upload a new version or do the dependency
> bumps yourself (new cabal file attached).
>
> Cheers, AndreasAbel (hackage account id)

- --

http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Mateusz Kowalczyk
On 05/01/2014 01:15 AM, Carter Schonwald wrote:

> looks like "I will be on block leave from April 18 to May 5." for Lennart
>
> could you link me to the fixes needed?  I'll ping several other admins for
> their thoughts, and then if its reasonable i'll do the upload
>

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Carter Schonwald <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> since i don't recall seeing the original thread on the libraries list
>> (seriously, i never saw it on the libraries list!), and i don't see the
>> email to lennart, i'm CCing lennart  to double check,
>>
>> @andreas, what fixes are needed to Geniplate, could you provide a link? If
>> they're conservative, I can upload them as a trustee later this evening,
>> and then we can sort out maintainership in the next week (and not have
>> Agda's ghc-7.8 friendly release be blocked).
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Andreas Abel <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
> Dear hackage admins, [CC: [hidden email]]
>
> Another week has passed without action from either package maintainer
> or hackage admins.
>
> Am I following this protocol correctly?
>
>   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package
>
> If I am lacking, let me know where, otherwise please do your part.
>
> Sincerly,
> Andreas

Hi Carter,

The changes Andreas is talking about are merely bumping the Template
Haskell upper bound in the Cabal file to 2.9.

I would like to not that if this is bumped to 2.10 instead, it will also
work with GHC 7.9, or at least it did near the end of March. My use-case
for this is for when I try to look further into [1] which will require
me to be able to compile Agda with 7.9.

For reference, the date on my e-mail to Lennart asking for the version
bump on TH is 30th of March 2014.

[1]: http://trac.haskell.org/haddock/ticket/295

--
Mateusz K.

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Andreas Abel-2
Dear Carter,

thanks for taking care of this.  I have no desire of becoming
maintainer of geniplate.

The only changes to geniplate required are version bumps.  The new
cabal file has been attached to several of my message, and also in the
one publicly linked (far) below, but voila, here is it again.

It also puts some constraints on mtl to avoid using the broken 2.1.

Cheers,
Andreas

P.S.: Sorry for the slow response, I have been moving and had problems
sending email.

geniplate.cabal (866 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Carter Schonwald
ok, cool!  NB: i will try to email lennart one more time after the "block leave" on his auto reply is over (at EdwardK's suggestion), so may 6th, and if that doesn't get a reply in a day or so, i've the thumbs up from 2+ core libraries committee members to push the fix myself

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Andreas Abel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Carter,

thanks for taking care of this.  I have no desire of becoming
maintainer of geniplate.

The only changes to geniplate required are version bumps.  The new
cabal file has been attached to several of my message, and also in the
one publicly linked (far) below, but voila, here is it again.

It also puts some constraints on mtl to avoid using the broken 2.1.

Cheers,
Andreas

P.S.: Sorry for the slow response, I have been moving and had problems
sending email.

On 01.05.2014 01:15, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> looks like "I will be on block leave from April 18 to May 5." for Lennart
>
> could you link me to the fixes needed?  I'll ping several other admins
> for their thoughts, and then if its reasonable i'll do the upload
>

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Carter Schonwald
>
>     since i don't recall seeing the original thread on the libraries
>     list (seriously, i never saw it on the libraries list!), and i don't
>     see the email to lennart, i'm CCing lennart  to double check,
>
>     @andreas, what fixes are needed to Geniplate, could you provide a
>     link? If they're conservative, I can upload them as a trustee later
>     this evening, and then we can sort out maintainership in the next
>     week (and not have Agda's ghc-7.8 friendly release be blocked).
>

>     On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Andreas Abel
>
> Dear hackage admins, [CC: [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>]
>
> Another week has passed without action from either package
> maintainer
> or hackage admins.
>
> Am I following this protocol correctly?
>
>   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package
>
> If I am lacking, let me know where, otherwise please do your part.
>
> Sincerly,
> Andreas
>
> On 23.04.2014 18:35, Andreas Abel wrote:
>> Dear Lennart,
>
>> since we want to release Agda-2.3.4 soon to work with ghc-7.8, we
>> need a version of geniplate that works with new template haskell.
>> All that is required is an update of version bounds in the cabal
>> file (attached).
>
>> Since you have not responded to our request, I am following
>> procedure
>
>> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package
>
>> to be able to upload an updated version of geniplate.
>
>> Dear Hackage admins,
>
>> here is proof of my public request for the update of geniplate:
>
>> http://osdir.com/ml/libraries@.../2014-04/msg00191.html
>
>> Please give me rights to upload a new version or do the dependency
>> bumps yourself (new cabal file attached).
>
>> Cheers, AndreasAbel (hackage account id)

http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/

http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Carter Schonwald
Since this has apparently been blocking agda release for over a month, i've taken action.

Note that because Lennart doesnt have a publicly available repository for geniplate,  0.6.0.4 is just a bumped version of  0.6.0.3,

This does raise the question of what the default hackage admin/trustee policy for libraries that need a fix like this should be, where the maintainer is active in the community but is hard to reach for a month or so.

(and whether any particular default policy should be "opt in" vs "opt out".)

anyways, ship the new agda goodness please :)

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> since we want to release Agda-2.3.4 soon to work with ghc-7.8, we
>> need a version of geniplate that works with new template haskell.
>> All that is required is an update of version bounds in the cabal
>> file (attached).
>
>> Since you have not responded to our request, I am following
>> procedure
>
>> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Taking_over_a_package
>
>> to be able to upload an updated version of geniplate.
>
>> Dear Hackage admins,
>
>> here is proof of my public request for the update of geniplate:
>
>> http://osdir.com/ml/libraries@.../2014-04/msg00191.html
>
>> Please give me rights to upload a new version or do the dependency
>> bumps yourself (new cabal file attached).
>
>> Cheers, AndreasAbel (hackage account id)

http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/

http://www2.tcs.ifi.lmu.de/~abel/

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Ok good! I did it earlier today / yesterday.  (Happy to hear that it's kosher on your side )

On Sunday, May 4, 2014, Augustsson, Lennart <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve been away on vacation, but I totally approve of the bump.

Since this has apparently been blocking agda release for over a month, i've taken action.

Note that because Lennart doesnt have a publicly available repository for geniplate,  0.6.0.4 is just a bumped version of  0.6.0.3,

This does raise the question of what the default hackage admin/trustee policy for libraries that need a fix like this should be, where the maintainer is active in the community but is hard to reach for a month or so.

(and whether any particular default policy should be "opt in" vs "opt out".)

anyways, ship the new agda goodness please :)

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

ok, cool!  NB: i will try to email lennart one more time after the "block leave" on his auto reply is over (at EdwardK's suggestion), so may 6th, and if that doesn't get a reply in a day or so, i've the thumbs up from 2+ core libraries committee members to push the fix myself

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Andreas Abel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Carter,

thanks for taking care of this.  I have no desire of becoming
maintainer of geniplate.

The only changes to geniplate required are version bumps.  The new
cabal file has been attached to several of my message, and also in the
one publicly linked (far) below, but voila, here is it again.

It also puts some constraints on mtl to avoid using the broken 2.1.

Cheers,
Andreas

P.S.: Sorry for the slow response, I have been moving and had problems
sending email.

On 01.05.2014 01:15, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> looks like "I will be on block leave from April 18 to May 5." for Lennart
>
> could you link me to the fixes needed?  I'll ping several other admins
> for their thoughts, and then if its reasonable i'll do the upload
>

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Carter Schonwald

>     since i don't recall seeing the original thread on the libraries
>     list (seriously, i never saw it on the libraries list!), and i don't
>     see the email to lennart, i'm CCing lennart  to double check,
>
>     @andreas, what fixes are needed to Geniplate, could you provide a
>     link? If they're conservative, I can upload them as a trustee later
>     this evening, and then we can sort out maintainership in the next
>     week (and not have Agda's ghc-7.8 friendly release be blocked).
>

>     On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Andreas Abel

> Dear hackage admins, [CC: [hidden email]

> <mailto:[hidden email]>]

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at
http://www.standardchartered.com/en/incorporation-details.html

Insofar as this communication contains any market commentary, the market commentary has been prepared by a sales and/or trading desk of Standard Chartered Bank or its affiliate. It is not and does not constitute research material, independent research, recommendation or financial advice. Any market commentary is for information purpose only and shall not be relied for any other purpose, and is subject to the relevant disclaimers available at http://wholesalebanking.standardchartered.com/en/utility/Pages/d-mkt.aspx.

Please visit http://wholesalebanking.standardchartered.com/en/capabilities/financialmarkets/Pages/doddfrankdisclosures.aspx for important information with respect to derivative products.

Re: geniplate bump to template-haskell-2.9

Andreas Abel-2
Good, so this issue has been settled to everyones contents.  Thanks!

Lennart, maybe you could put geniplate on github to accept pull requests?!

Carter,
>     This does raise the question of what the default hackage
>     admin/trustee policy for libraries that need a fix like this should
>     be, where the maintainer is active in the community but is hard to
>     reach for a month or so.
>     (and whether any particular default policy should be "opt in" vs
>     "opt out".)

Yes, routine changes (like version bumps) that make a package compile
with a new ghc or base should get into hackage fast and
unbureaucratically.  Maybe in the not-so-distant-future routine version
bumps will be automatized.  Until then, one could think of an "extended
hackage committee" that does fall-back maintainance for such routine
jobs for the more interesting packages on hackage.

Cheers,
Andreas