Re: haskell.org libraries and tools page needs some fixing

Re: haskell.org libraries and tools page needs some fixing

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello Björn,

BB> I recently wanted to add some libraries to
BB> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools and noticed a
BB> number of problems.

there is also HCAR report. my thoughts is what we should create some
central repository including libs/apps/papers/communities and so on
and replace both this page and HCAR with it. then anyone should
include himself here and edit the info as progress does. i also
created Library/Streams as possible part of this future enciclopedy,
having in mind that Library page will list all libs documented on
haskellwiki. another interesting place which should list libs is
hackage repository

i think that we should discuss this question and develop a common
place where everyone will list his libs/apps/... and document it as
much as he wants

Re: haskell.org libraries and tools page needs some fixing

Andres Loeh-2
> BB> I recently wanted to add some libraries to
> BB> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools and noticed a
> BB> number of problems.
>
> there is also HCAR report. my thoughts is what we should create some
> central repository including libs/apps/papers/communities and so on
> and replace both this page and HCAR with it. then anyone should
> include himself here and edit the info as progress does.

Such a proposal comes up every once in a while, and it certainly
sounds like a good idea. But I don't think it will work. From my
experience, getting a HCAR done is not only a lot of fun, but also
quite a bit of work. I think that it is a good thing to have a fixed
point in time when people involved in the Haskell community are
actively approached and asked and pushed to write up what they have
done. In the HCAR, you can see for every single entry if it has been
updated or not (and stuff that is outdated is removed). The result is
archived as a stable point of reference.  With a central repository,
chances are good that no one really feels responsible, and it will be
difficult to reach the same level of breadth and quality. You
certainly can get rid of these advantages by assigning an editor and
some rules ... but why, really, do you want to replace the HCAR with
anything? What do you dislike about it?

Cheers,
  Andres