Reactive Programming in Machine Learning

Reactive Programming in Machine Learning

bob zhang
Hi all,
I am doing a survey on combining Functional Reactive Programming and
Machine Learning. Has anyone did relevant research on this topic?
Any discussion or link is appreciable.
Best,bob

Re: Reactive Programming in Machine Learning

Edward Amsden-6
I did a survey of functional reactive programming, though there's no
reference to machine learning:

http://blog.edwardamsden.com/2011/05/survey-of-functional-reactive.html

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM, bob zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am doing a survey on combining Functional Reactive Programming and
> Machine Learning. Has anyone did relevant research on this topic?
> Any discussion or link is appreciable.
> Best,bob

Edward Amsden
Student
Computer Science
Rochester Institute of Technology
www.edwardamsden.com

Re: Reactive Programming in Machine Learning

bob zhang
Thank your for kind help :-)
于 11-7-22 下午3:28, Edward Amsden 写道:

> I did a survey of functional reactive programming, though there's no
> reference to machine learning:
>
> http://blog.edwardamsden.com/2011/05/survey-of-functional-reactive.html
>
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM, bob zhang<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am doing a survey on combining Functional Reactive Programming and
>> Machine Learning. Has anyone did relevant research on this topic?
>> Any discussion or link is appreciable.
>> Best,bob

Re: Reactive Programming in Machine Learning

Tom Nielsen
As far as I am aware, there has been very little work on combining
these two, but that does not mean that it is a bad idea. I can give
you some pointers from a very personal perspective:

-Machine learning is mostly kernel methods and probabilistic
inference, I can't really say much about how one would combine kernel
methods and FRP, but more about probabilistic inference.

-I work in physiology and we use FRP for data acquisition and for
classifying different kinds of evidence. It appears that most data --
observed or inferred -- can be described as signals or as events. We
have a paper about this but it is not yet published.

-We do data analysis by building probabilistic models (i.e.
probability distributions) for the "reactive" objects, i.e. signals or
events, and applying bayesian inference to learn the parameters of
these models. Lots of this work consists of thinking about what would
be a good probability distribution for a signal or an event.

-Gaussian processes make very good models for real-valued signals,
especially when your underlying model is a stochastic differential
equation (some of which can be rewritten as gaussian processes).

-for events we use point processes such as the poisson processes.

-I would love to work on probabilistic reactive control, but don't
really have the time. You could use sequential monte carlo/particle
filters to iteratively estimate the value of unobserved time-varying
quantities and the use FRP-like systems to wire this up to an output
signal. If you want to learn more about sequential monte carlo, there
are lots of videos on videolectures.net. Nando de Freitas has a good
introduction.

Tom

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 2:30 AM, bob zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am doing a survey on combining Functional Reactive Programming and
> Machine Learning. Has anyone did relevant research on this topic?
> Any discussion or link is appreciable.
> Best,bob

Re: Reactive Programming in Machine Learning

David Barbour
I have spent several months studying use of generative grammars in multi-agent reactive systems [1] - granted, not FRP in particular, but RDP is reasonably close [2]. This result is, implicitly, a distributed, federated machine-learning system (briefly described at [3]). The 'learning' supports rapid agreement between agents and eliminating the volatility seen in a stateless reactive model.

Individual agents are simple; intelligence in this model emerges only as we scale. It's a very simple learning model: individually, agents try to generate grammars that that are (based on history) likely to be accepted by other agents. Developers control what can be learned by specifying a non-deterministic choice in the generative grammar (i.e. non-determinism is seen as 'permission to choose and learn', not 'random').

By a simple extension of grammars with time (i.e. a grammar generates a sentence that says not just what to do, but when to do it), I believe I can achieve a huge level of intelligent coordination and cooperation between agents. I.e. they'll automatically schedule their activities, and reactively adjust to accommodate changes in plans or the introduction of new agents.

I tabled further study of this promising model until I sufficiently develop RDP, which is far more suitable than FRP for open, scalable systems.

[1] http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4012