Release?

Joachim Breitner
Hi,

just wondering: Are we going to see a release any time soon or should
distributors start packaging random Darcs snapshots?

Thanks,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer

Release?

Carsten Mattner-2
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just wondering: Are we going to see a release any time soon or should
> distributors start packaging random Darcs snapshots?

Release?

Gwern Branwen
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Carsten Mattner
<carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
> From my perspective darcs head for both xmonad and XMonadContrib
> is in good shape for a release. Let's cut a release.

As usual, I have no objection to a release on a schedule quicker than
'once a decade'...

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Release?

Carsten Mattner-2
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From my perspective darcs head for both xmonad and XMonadContrib
>> is in good shape for a release. Let's cut a release.
>
> As usual, I have no objection to a release on a schedule quicker than
> 'once a decade'...

Let's do it then. What's the process?

Any critical open tickets with suggested patches to consider?

Release?

Carlos López Camey
2012/12/14 Carsten Mattner <carstenmattner at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Carsten Mattner
>> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> From my perspective darcs head for both xmonad and XMonadContrib
>>> is in good shape for a release. Let's cut a release.
>>
>> As usual, I have no objection to a release on a schedule quicker than
>> 'once a decade'...
>
> Let's do it then. What's the process?
>
> Any critical open tickets with suggested patches to consider?

Hello Carsten, I've code I'd like to remove before a possible release.
The patch is attached with the following summary:

I'll let X.A.Launcher stay as an example of a prompt with multiple
modes. This patch removes LocateMode and LocateRegexMode which were
used to search file paths.

They are not optimal, they're slow and I'm working on another solution
which involves another dependency. The dependency is an experimental
indexer I'm writing, I believe that places my efforts outside the
scope of xmonad-contrib.

>>> As usual, I have no objection to a release on a schedule quicker than
>>> 'once a decade'...
>>
>> Let's do it then. What's the process?
>>
>> Any critical open tickets with suggested patches to consider?
>>

> Hello Carsten, I've code I'd like to remove before a possible release.
> The patch is attached with the following summary:
>
> I'll let X.A.Launcher stay as an example of a prompt with multiple
> modes. This patch removes LocateMode and LocateRegexMode which were
> used to search file paths.
>
> They are not optimal, they're slow and I'm working on another solution
> which involves another dependency. The dependency is an experimental
> indexer I'm writing, I believe that places my efforts outside the
> scope of xmonad-contrib.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Release?

Adam Vogt
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Carlos L?pez Camey <c.lopez at kmels.net> wrote:

> Hello Carsten, I've code I'd like to remove before a possible release.
> The patch is attached with the following summary:
>
> I'll let X.A.Launcher stay as an example of a prompt with multiple
> modes. This patch removes LocateMode and LocateRegexMode which were
> used to search file paths.
>
> They are not optimal, they're slow and I'm working on another solution
> which involves another dependency. The dependency is an experimental
> indexer I'm writing, I believe that places my efforts outside the
> scope of xmonad-contrib.

Hi Carlos,

You also wanted to remove spawnWithActions with your patch? As it
stands, it isn't used or exported.

Also on the side, the orElse1 you define as part of that function is a
specialized version of Control.Monad.msum which seems to be in base.

--
Adam

Applied: Re: Release?

darcswatch@nomeata.de
This 1-patch bundle was just applied to http://code.haskell.org/XMonadContrib:

20121214211230  c.lopez at kmels.net
 * Removes LocateMode and LocateRegexMode from XMonad.Actions.Launcher

--
This message was brought to you by DarcsWatch
http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/repo_http:__code.haskell.org_XMonadContrib.html#bundle-7cf7b85a2c77b373cbf777a0d100e8f76e2126d7

Release?

Carlos López Camey
2012/12/15 adam vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Carlos L?pez Camey <c.lopez at kmels.net> wrote:
>> Hello Carsten, I've code I'd like to remove before a possible release.
>> The patch is attached with the following summary:
>>
>> I'll let X.A.Launcher stay as an example of a prompt with multiple
>> modes. This patch removes LocateMode and LocateRegexMode which were
>> used to search file paths.
>>
>> They are not optimal, they're slow and I'm working on another solution
>> which involves another dependency. The dependency is an experimental
>> indexer I'm writing, I believe that places my efforts outside the
>> scope of xmonad-contrib.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> You also wanted to remove spawnWithActions with your patch? As it
> stands, it isn't used or exported.
>
> Also on the side, the orElse1 you define as part of that function is a
> specialized version of Control.Monad.msum which seems to be in base.
>
> --
> Adam

Hello Adam, thanks for making sure my mistakes don't go through and
for the msum pointer. On haskell-cafe I found this one too, not long
ago:

Prelude> import Control.Applicative
Prelude Control.Applicative> :t (<|>)
(<|>) :: Alternative f => f a -> f a -> f a
Prelude Control.Applicative> Just 7 <|> Nothing
Just 7
Prelude Control.Applicative> Nothing <|> Nothing
Nothing
Prelude Control.Applicative> Nothing <|> Just 1
Just 1

Please find attached the patch that removes spawnWithActions.

cheers

20121215223714  c.lopez at kmels.net
 * Removes unused function spawnWithActions and redundant imports in XMonad.Actions.Launcher

--
This message was brought to you by DarcsWatch
http://darcswatch.nomeata.de/repo_http:__code.haskell.org_XMonadContrib.html#bundle-bae4552b6ea4410fc4c81436b61982ed34e580bc

Release?

Joachim Breitner-2

Am Freitag, den 14.12.2012, 11:28 +0100 schrieb Carsten Mattner:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Carsten Mattner
> > <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> From my perspective darcs head for both xmonad and XMonadContrib
> >> is in good shape for a release. Let's cut a release.
> >
> > As usual, I have no objection to a release on a schedule quicker than
> > 'once a decade'...
>
> Let's do it then. What's the process?

good question, but I wonder what the answer is, whose it is to give and
especially why it has not been given yet.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail at joachim-breitner.de  |  nomeata at debian.org  |  GPG: 0x4743206C

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 14.12.2012, 11:28 +0100 schrieb Carsten Mattner:
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > As usual, I have no objection to a release on a schedule quicker than
>> > 'once a decade'...
>>
>> Let's do it then. What's the process?
>
> good question, but I wonder what the answer is, whose it is to give and
> especially why it has not been given yet.

Release?

Adam Vogt
On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Carsten Mattner
<carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I see I believe it's decided with a consensus after whoever
> does the required work of going through the bug tracker, write Changelog,
> NEWS, and release notes.
>
> What's holding up a release with current darcs before the year ends?
> Does anybody have concerns with the reliability or backwards compatibility
> of the code found in darcs as of today?

Hi Carsten,

There might be some easy things to fix to get xmonad & contrib to
build with older ghcs. For example, things like "import
Control.Exception" can easily be changed to "import
Contol.Exception.Extensible", if that's the only change necessary to
maintain compatibility with something as old as ghc-6.12.

I've listed some highlights for the release I'll hopefully get out
today: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.10

Other things to remember for the release are listed in:
http://code.haskell.org/xmonad/TODO

Adam

Release?

Carsten Mattner-2
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 17:31:25 +0100, adam vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From what I see I believe it's decided with a consensus after whoever
>> does the required work of going through the bug tracker, write
>> Changelog,
>> NEWS, and release notes.
>>
>> What's holding up a release with current darcs before the year ends?
>> Does anybody have concerns with the reliability or backwards
>> compatibility
>> of the code found in darcs as of today?
>
> Hi Carsten,
>
> There might be some easy things to fix to get xmonad & contrib to
> build with older ghcs. For example, things like "import
> Control.Exception" can easily be changed to "import
> Contol.Exception.Extensible", if that's the only change necessary to
> maintain compatibility with something as old as ghc-6.12.

If it's trivial changes to keep it compatible, I'm all for it
in the name of not breaking builds for users or packagers.

> I've listed some highlights for the release I'll hopefully get out
> today:
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Notable_changes_since_0.10

Adam, that's great news. There's a tiny typo: "issue issue"