Request for maintainer(s) : language-javascript / hjsmin

Request for maintainer(s) : language-javascript / hjsmin

Alan & Kim Zimmerman
Hi all

I am the author of language-javascript and its companion hjsmin. Unfortunately I do not use the libraries myself, and I am falling behind in maintaining them, all the more so with the new ECMASCRIPT spec out.

So I am calling for volunteers to take over maintenance of these two packages.

Regards
  Alan

Re: Request for maintainer(s) : language-javascript / hjsmin

Andrey Chudnov
Alan,
I'm not volunteering (yet), but I have a few questions:
1) Could you sum up the status of the package? Is there complete ECMAScript 5.1 support? How comprehensive is the test suite?
2) Are you familiar with language-ecmascript (particularly, with the es5 branch https://github.com/jswebtools/language-ecmascript/tree/es5)? If so, what do you think are the main strengths of language-javascript compared to that package?
3) Do you think it would make sense to merge language-javascript and language-ecmascript and port hjsmin to that?

/Andrey

On 07/06/2015 02:42 PM, Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:
Hi all

I am the author of language-javascript and its companion hjsmin. Unfortunately I do not use the libraries myself, and I am falling behind in maintaining them, all the more so with the new ECMASCRIPT spec out.

So I am calling for volunteers to take over maintenance of these two packages.

Regards
  Alan

Re: Request for maintainer(s) : language-javascript / hjsmin

Alan & Kim Zimmerman
Hi Andrey

1. I did update it when ECMASCRIPT 5.1 when it came out for version 0.4.6 of language-javascript (according to the ChangeLog). The test suite is very comprehensive.

2. I am not familiar with language-ecmascript. The main feature of language-javascript is that it is written using lex/alex, so is pretty fast. That said, the AST itself could be improved, I was learning when I did it.

3. I think a merge could definitely make sense. I know hjsmin is very intimately tied to language-javascript, so a port might be quite tricky. There are also lots of tests on hjsmin.

I would obviously be prepared to guide anyone taking over this role, and to answer questions about the code.

Alan

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Andrey Chudnov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Alan,
I'll have a look at the tests in hjsmin. AFAIK, you are using alex and happy for the parser. Does that cause any issues with Automatic Semicolon Insertion?

On 07/06/2015 03:16 PM, Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:
[...]

Erik de Castro Lopo-34
Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:

> So I am calling for volunteers to take over maintenance of these two
> packages.

I;d like to stick my hand up for these. I still have a plans to drastically
improve the AST, something like in my new-ast branch:

    https://github.com/erikd/language-javascript/tree/new-ast

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Request for maintainer(s) : language-javascript / hjsmin

Tony Morris-4
I will assist Erik as needed.

On 07/07/15 16:36, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:
>
>> So I am calling for volunteers to take over maintenance of these two
>> packages.
>
> I;d like to stick my hand up for these. I still have a plans to drastically
> improve the AST, something like in my new-ast branch:
>
>     https://github.com/erikd/language-javascript/tree/new-ast
>
> Cheers,
> Erik

Re: Request for maintainer(s) : language-javascript / hjsmin

Alan & Kim Zimmerman
Having heard from Andrey Chudnov, who also showed interest, it looks like the new maintainers will be Erik de Castro Lopo and Tony Morris.

Andrey has offered to assist if there is even an intent to merge language-javascript with language-ecmascript.

Thanks everyone.

Regards
  Alan

Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:

> Having heard from Andrey Chudnov, who also showed interest, it looks like
> the new maintainers will be Erik de Castro Lopo and Tony Morris.
>
> Andrey has offered to assist if there is even an intent to merge
> language-javascript with language-ecmascript.

Thanks Alan for your hard work so far on that package.

I'll try and do a new minor release on the weekend that does little
more than update the maintainers in the cabal file.

I will then work to merge the work I have in a branch to improve the
AST.

Cheers,
Erik