Review of CONTRIBUTORS.md

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Review of CONTRIBUTORS.md

Ben Gamari-3
Hello everyone,

Today I sat down and wrote a CONTRIBUTORS.md document for the ghc
repository. This is recommended by GitHub to ensure that contributors
can easily discover the first steps to contributing to the project.
Moreover, it provided a nice blank slate to summarize the existing
contributor documentation.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could give it [1] a read-through
and leave your feedback.

Cheers,

- Ben


[1] https://phabricator.haskell.org/D4037
    https://github.com/bgamari/ghc/blob/contributing/CONTRIBUTING.md

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Review of CONTRIBUTORS.md

Ara Adkins
Hey Ben,

Looks good to me for the most part! I think that you should include a link to the Newcomers page [1] as a whole, even though it has some overlap with the quick start guide and you’ve included a link to the ‘Finding a Ticket’ subsection therein. 

I also think that a few more pointers on what is hoped for in a review (under ‘Reviewing Patches’) could be helpful for those looking to get involved! Code review styles and expectations can vary greatly, so some more info here would be good. 

Best,
_ara


On 26 Sep 2017, at 21:58, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Today I sat down and wrote a CONTRIBUTORS.md document for the ghc
repository. This is recommended by GitHub to ensure that contributors
can easily discover the first steps to contributing to the project.
Moreover, it provided a nice blank slate to summarize the existing
contributor documentation.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could give it [1] a read-through
and leave your feedback.

Cheers,

- Ben


[1] https://phabricator.haskell.org/D4037
   https://github.com/bgamari/ghc/blob/contributing/CONTRIBUTING.md
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Review of CONTRIBUTORS.md

Ben Gamari-3
Ara Adkins <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hey Ben,
>
> Looks good to me for the most part! I think that you should include a
> link to the Newcomers page [1] as a whole, even though it has some
> overlap with the quick start guide and you’ve included a link to the
> ‘Finding a Ticket’ subsection therein.
>
> I also think that a few more pointers on what is hoped for in a review
> (under ‘Reviewing Patches’) could be helpful for those looking to get
> involved! Code review styles and expectations can vary greatly, so
> some more info here would be good.
>
Thanks Ara! I've tried to address both of these in the patch. Do let me
know if you have further suggestions.

Cheers,

- Ben


_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Review of CONTRIBUTORS.md

Ara Adkins
Hi Ben,

No further suggestions, but the link to the newcomers page is broken, and there is a typo towards the end of the ‘Writing Patches’ section: ‘relative unconversial’ -> ‘relatively uncontroversial’.

Sorry for the lack of line numbers but I can’t work out how to view the raw file on my phone!

_ara

> On 28 Sep 2017, at 01:33, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ara Adkins <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hey Ben,
>>
>> Looks good to me for the most part! I think that you should include a
>> link to the Newcomers page [1] as a whole, even though it has some
>> overlap with the quick start guide and you’ve included a link to the
>> ‘Finding a Ticket’ subsection therein.
>>
>> I also think that a few more pointers on what is hoped for in a review
>> (under ‘Reviewing Patches’) could be helpful for those looking to get
>> involved! Code review styles and expectations can vary greatly, so
>> some more info here would be good.
>>
> Thanks Ara! I've tried to address both of these in the patch. Do let me
> know if you have further suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs