SENIOR HASKELL OPPORTUNITY

Neena Singh

Hello,

I have been retained by a leading Hedge Fund who are looking for an experienced Haskell developer to join their highly regarded front office technology team. This is a great opportunity for a passionate technologist to join a group working very closely with the trading floor on advanced Haskell projects. Previous finance experience is not a pre-requisite however a passion for Haskell is a must.

If you are interested learning more about this opportunity and potential salary ranges please call me on 020 7871 4482 or email me [hidden email].

I look forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Neena

Neena Singh

Analyst

Henlow Recruitment Group

+44(0)20 7871 1834

[hidden email]

www.henlowgroup.com

cid:image017.jpg@01CECB15.783A6E10 cid:image019.png@01CECB15.783A6E10 cid:image005.png@01CEDA27.B1142430

This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only.  If an address or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, rely on or retain this e-mail. This email and any attached files have been scanned for the presence of computer viruses, however you are advised that you open any attachments at your own risk. All e-mails including CV's are subject to our standard terms and conditions of business.  The acceptance of any CV's constitutes the acceptance of our standard terms and conditions of business unless there has been written prior agreement. Any views or opinions presented here may be solely those of the originator and are not necessarily those of Henlow Recruitment Group. Henlow Recruitment Group reserves the right to share information between companies within our group.

Please read Henlow Recruitment Groups' privacy policy at http://www.henlowgroup.com/privacy-policy to understand how Henlow Recruitment Group uses and protects the information you provide.

Re: SENIOR HASKELL OPPORTUNITY

MigMit
Wait a sec, is that yours: http://www.haskellers.com/jobs/59 ?

I loved the required skill "Object oriented programming experience in Haskell".

On 10 Dec 2013, at 18:58, Neena Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been retained by a leading Hedge Fund who are looking for an experienced Haskell developer to join their highly regarded front office technology team. This is a great opportunity for a passionate technologist to join a group working very closely with the trading floor on advanced Haskell projects. Previous finance experience is not a pre-requisite however a passion for Haskell is a must.
>
> If you are interested learning more about this opportunity and potential salary ranges please call me on 020 7871 4482 or email me [hidden email].
>
> I look forward to hearing from you,
>
> Regards,
>
> Neena

Re: SENIOR HASKELL OPPORTUNITY

Clark Gaebel-2
Well how else would you expect to earn that "business bonus"?

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM, MigMit <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wait a sec, is that yours: http://www.haskellers.com/jobs/59 ?

I loved the required skill "Object oriented programming experience in Haskell".

On 10 Dec 2013, at 18:58, Neena Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been retained by a leading Hedge Fund who are looking for an experienced Haskell developer to join their highly regarded front office technology team. This is a great opportunity for a passionate technologist to join a group working very closely with the trading floor on advanced Haskell projects. Previous finance experience is not a pre-requisite however a passion for Haskell is a must.
>
> If you are interested learning more about this opportunity and potential salary ranges please call me on 020 7871 4482 or email me [hidden email].
>
> I look forward to hearing from you,
>
> Regards,
>
> Neena

Clark.

Key ID     : 0x78099922
Fingerprint: B292 493C 51AE F3AB D016  DD04 E5E3 C36F 5534 F907

Re: SENIOR HASKELL OPPORTUNITY

Stijn van Drongelen
"Maths skills are not essential [...]."

"EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
[...]
* - PHD / High Level degree in Computer Science."

Huh.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Clark Gaebel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well how else would you expect to earn that "business bonus"?

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM, MigMit <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wait a sec, is that yours: http://www.haskellers.com/jobs/59 ?

I loved the required skill "Object oriented programming experience in Haskell".

On 10 Dec 2013, at 18:58, Neena Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been retained by a leading Hedge Fund who are looking for an experienced Haskell developer to join their highly regarded front office technology team. This is a great opportunity for a passionate technologist to join a group working very closely with the trading floor on advanced Haskell projects. Previous finance experience is not a pre-requisite however a passion for Haskell is a must.
>
> If you are interested learning more about this opportunity and potential salary ranges please call me on 020 7871 4482 or email me [hidden email].
>
> I look forward to hearing from you,
>
> Regards,
>
> Neena

Clark.

Key ID     : 0x78099922
Fingerprint: B292 493C 51AE F3AB D016  DD04 E5E3 C36F 5534 F907

Re: SENIOR HASKELL OPPORTUNITY

Vo Minh Thu
HR people are not technical people, there is no point reading too
meticulously their copy (perfectly good companies have crappy job
postings all the time).

All job postings will tell you they have bright people on board, they
have nice salary package, and so on. So there is no added information
when they tell you that, but they sure will repeat it everywhere they
can.

2013/12/11 Stijn van Drongelen <[hidden email]>:

> "Maths skills are not essential [...]."
>
> "EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
> [...]
> * - PHD / High Level degree in Computer Science."
>
> Huh.
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Clark Gaebel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well how else would you expect to earn that "business bonus"?
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM, MigMit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wait a sec, is that yours: http://www.haskellers.com/jobs/59 ?
>>>
>>> I loved the required skill "Object oriented programming experience in
>>> Haskell".

>> --
>> Clark.
>>
>> Key ID     : 0x78099922
>> Fingerprint: B292 493C 51AE F3AB D016  DD04 E5E3 C36F 5534 F907

Re: SENIOR HASKELL OPPORTUNITY

Neena Singh

Yes, this is correct.

A number of (quant) developers have a PhD or Masters in Computer Science but have not used their maths skills extensively for many years.

When hiring for a (quant) developer many financial organisations will look for strong maths skills and will therefore ask many probability and other mathematical questions as part of the interview process which many developers find difficult and is often the reason they are not successful in the interview process.

For this particular opportunity they are looking for someone with a PhD or High Level degree but will not be extensively testing a candidate’s mathematical ability. This opportunity is therefore an option for someone who is technically very strong but has not used their more advanced maths skills for many years.

Thanks

Neena

* - PHD / High Level degree in Computer Science."

Huh.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:09 AM, Clark Gaebel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well how else would you expect to earn that "business bonus"?

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM, MigMit <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wait a sec, is that yours: http://www.haskellers.com/jobs/59 ?

I loved the required skill "Object oriented programming experience in Haskell".

On 10 Dec 2013, at 18:58, Neena Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been retained by a leading Hedge Fund who are looking for an experienced Haskell developer to join their highly regarded front office technology team. This is a great opportunity for a passionate technologist to join a group working very closely with the trading floor on advanced Haskell projects. Previous finance experience is not a pre-requisite however a passion for Haskell is a must.
>
> If you are interested learning more about this opportunity and potential salary ranges please call me on 020 7871 4482 or email me [hidden email].
>
> I look forward to hearing from you,
>
> Regards,
>
> Neena

Clark.

Key ID     : 0x78099922
Fingerprint: B292 493C 51AE F3AB D016  DD04 E5E3 C36F 5534 F907

Re: SENIOR HASKELL OPPORTUNITY

Kristopher Micinski
I think the point is that people who have PhDs in CS have very strong
math skills, but that the definition of "math" may differ from person
to person.  If your definition of math is "really hard integrals" then
maybe not, but almost everyone with a PhD in CS is very good at some
form of advanced math :-)..

Kris

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Neena Singh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, this is correct.
>

> A number of (quant) developers have a PhD or Masters in Computer Science but
> have not used their maths skills extensively for many years.
>

> When hiring for a (quant) developer many financial organisations will look
> for strong maths skills and will therefore ask many probability and other
> mathematical questions as part of the interview process which many
> developers find difficult and is often the reason they are not successful in
> the interview process.
>

> For this particular opportunity they are looking for someone with a PhD or
> High Level degree but will not be extensively testing a candidate’s
> mathematical ability. This opportunity is therefore an option for someone
> who is technically very strong but has not used their more advanced maths
> skills for many years.
>

> Thanks
>

> Neena

Malcolm Wallace-2
Typically, finance jobs that ask for mathematical skill, really do mean hard integrals, partial differential equations, and other numerical stuff that most CS people quail at.

> On 11 Dec 2013, at 20:52, Kristopher Micinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think the point is that people who have PhDs in CS have very strong
> math skills, but that the definition of "math" may differ from person
> to person.  If your definition of math is "really hard integrals" then
> maybe not, but almost everyone with a PhD in CS is very good at some
> form of advanced math :-)..
>
> Kris
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Neena Singh
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, this is correct.
>>

>> A number of (quant) developers have a PhD or Masters in Computer Science but
>> have not used their maths skills extensively for many years.
>>

>> When hiring for a (quant) developer many financial organisations will look
>> for strong maths skills and will therefore ask many probability and other
>> mathematical questions as part of the interview process which many
>> developers find difficult and is often the reason they are not successful in
>> the interview process.
>>

>> For this particular opportunity they are looking for someone with a PhD or
>> High Level degree but will not be extensively testing a candidate’s
>> mathematical ability. This opportunity is therefore an option for someone
>> who is technically very strong but has not used their more advanced maths
>> skills for many years.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Neena

Carter Schonwald
basically, fun stuff! :)

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Malcolm Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
Typically, finance jobs that ask for mathematical skill, really do mean hard integrals, partial differential equations, and other numerical stuff that most CS people quail at.

> On 11 Dec 2013, at 20:52, Kristopher Micinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think the point is that people who have PhDs in CS have very strong
> math skills, but that the definition of "math" may differ from person
> to person.  If your definition of math is "really hard integrals" then
> maybe not, but almost everyone with a PhD in CS is very good at some
> form of advanced math :-)..
>
> Kris
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Neena Singh
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, this is correct.
>>

>> A number of (quant) developers have a PhD or Masters in Computer Science but
>> have not used their maths skills extensively for many years.
>>

>> When hiring for a (quant) developer many financial organisations will look
>> for strong maths skills and will therefore ask many probability and other
>> mathematical questions as part of the interview process which many
>> developers find difficult and is often the reason they are not successful in
>> the interview process.
>>

>> For this particular opportunity they are looking for someone with a PhD or
>> High Level degree but will not be extensively testing a candidate’s
>> mathematical ability. This opportunity is therefore an option for someone
>> who is technically very strong but has not used their more advanced maths
>> skills for many years.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Neena

I completely agree, hence my agreeing that this is not necessarily ill
formed...!

Kris