STAMP benchmark in Haskell?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

STAMP benchmark in Haskell?

Tom Davies-6
I'm experimenting with STM (in CAL[1] rather than Haskell)
and want to run the STAMP[2] benchmarks.

Is there a Haskell translation available, or can anyone
suggest a better/different benchmark suite for STM?

Thanks,
  Tom

[1] http://openquark.org/Open_Quark/Welcome.html
[2] http://stamp.stanford.edu/

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: STAMP benchmark in Haskell?

Jan-Willem Maessen

On Mar 1, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> I'm experimenting with STM (in CAL[1] rather than Haskell)
> and want to run the STAMP[2] benchmarks.

Hmm, I don'tknow of a particularly good STM-in-Haskell benchmark, but  
I'd say that the STAMP benchmarks are written in a rather imperative,  
object-oriented style.  You wouldn't get very meaningful data about  
anything if you were to naively translate them to Haskell; you'd  
instead have to rewrite them completely (at which point head-to-head  
comparisons are difficult).

> Is there a Haskell translation available, or can anyone
> suggest a better/different benchmark suite for STM?

Good question.  Because we tend to eschew mutable state in Haskell,  
I'd expect the characteristics of such an application to be *very*  
different.

-Jan-Willem Maessen

>
>
> Thanks,
>  Tom
>
> [1] http://openquark.org/Open_Quark/Welcome.html
> [2] http://stamp.stanford.edu/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: STAMP benchmark in Haskell?

Martin Sulzmann

Some Haskell-STM benchmarks can be found here:

Dissecting Transactional Executions in Haskell
Cristian Perfumo et al
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/meetings/TRANSACT07/

Martin


-Willem Maessen writes:
 >
 > On Mar 1, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
 >
 > > I'm experimenting with STM (in CAL[1] rather than Haskell)
 > > and want to run the STAMP[2] benchmarks.
 >
 > Hmm, I don'tknow of a particularly good STM-in-Haskell benchmark, but  
 > I'd say that the STAMP benchmarks are written in a rather imperative,  
 > object-oriented style.  You wouldn't get very meaningful data about  
 > anything if you were to naively translate them to Haskell; you'd  
 > instead have to rewrite them completely (at which point head-to-head  
 > comparisons are difficult).
 >
 > > Is there a Haskell translation available, or can anyone
 > > suggest a better/different benchmark suite for STM?
 >
 > Good question.  Because we tend to eschew mutable state in Haskell,  
 > I'd expect the characteristics of such an application to be *very*  
 > different.
 >
 > -Jan-Willem Maessen
 >
 > >
 > >
 > > Thanks,
 > >  Tom
 > >
 > > [1] http://openquark.org/Open_Quark/Welcome.html
 > > [2] http://stamp.stanford.edu/
 > >
 > > _______________________________________________
 > > Haskell-Cafe mailing list
 > > [hidden email]
 > > http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
 >
 > _______________________________________________
 > Haskell-Cafe mailing list
 > [hidden email]
 > http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe