STM Commentary

Ryan Yates
Hi all,

For a while now I've been working on understanding GHC's STM implementation
and I finally have something to share.  I've written a commentary on the
implementation which can be found here:

http://fryguybob.github.io/STM-Commentary/

The source is here:

https://github.com/fryguybob/STM-Commentary/

It still could use a bit of polish and I would love to hear about any
missing details, confusion, or misunderstandings.  My goal in writing this
was to fill in the gap found here
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM.  I happy to
have it live where it is most appropriate.  If anyone has opinions on that,
let me know.

Any comments are welcome, it may be easiest to just comment on the source
directly on Github, but I will, of course, take feedback in any form.

Thanks,

Ryan Yates
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

STM Commentary

Ian Lynagh-2
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 04:05:39PM -0400, Ryan Yates wrote:

> For a while now I've been working on understanding GHC's STM implementation
> and I finally have something to share.  I've written a commentary on the
> implementation which can be found here:
>
> http://fryguybob.github.io/STM-Commentary/

Great!

> My goal in writing this
> was to fill in the gap found here
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM.  I happy to
> have it live where it is most appropriate.  If anyone has opinions on that,
> let me know.

Why not put it on
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM
? If you sign up for an account on the trac then you should be able to
edit that page.

Thanks
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant

STM Commentary

Edward Z. Yang
Excerpts from Ian Lynagh's message of Fri May 17 13:19:00 -0700 2013:
> Why not put it on
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM
> ? If you sign up for an account on the trac then you should be able to
> edit that page.

Agreed! Please put it on the wiki.

Thanks,
Edward

STM Commentary

Ryan Yates
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:

> Why not put it on
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM
> ? If you sign up for an account on the trac then you should be able to
> edit that page.

Sure, I wanted to make sure that anyone who wanted had a chance to review
it before it ends up somewhere official :D.

Ryan
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

STM Commentary

David Terei
The wiki is 'official' but also very open -- everyone is happy with
info being put up there sonner than later and with mistakes.

On 17 May 2013 14:15, Ryan Yates <fryguybob at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Ian Lynagh <ian at well-typed.com> wrote:
>
>> Why not put it on
>>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM
>> ? If you sign up for an account on the trac then you should be able to
>> edit that page.
>>

> Sure, I wanted to make sure that anyone who wanted had a chance to review
> it before it ends up somewhere official :D.
>
> Ryan

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

STM Commentary

Simon Peyton Jones
Ryan

Great stuff.  What you have is almost certainly more accurate, complete, and up to date than anything else we have, so thank you.  As others have said, putting it on the GHC wiki would be much the best place.

Perhaps here: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM

Simon

Microsoft Research Limited (company number 03369488) is registered in England and Wales
Registered office 21 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2FB

STM Commentary

Ryan Yates
Thanks!  I'll work on getting it onto the wiki soon.  My next step is to
apply hardware transactions to improve STM performance.  For this I will
need to collect some meaningful STM benchmarks.  If anyone has some
particular use cases or code where they would like to see improved STM
performance on I would love to know.  There are several potential
improvements to the existing STM performance that I will also investigate
along the way.

Ryan

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com>wrote:

>  Ryan****
>
> ** **
>
> Great stuff.  What you have is almost certainly more accurate, complete,
> and up to date than anything else we have, so thank you.  As others have
> said, putting it on the GHC wiki would be much the best place.****
>
> ** **
>
> Perhaps here: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM*
> ***
>
> ** **
>
> Simon****
>
> * *
>
> *Microsoft Research Limited (company number 03369488) is registered in
> England and Wales*
>
> *Registered office 21 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2FB ***
>
> ** **

Carter Schonwald
you have access to hardware for testing HTM? I thought haswell wasn't
publicly available yet...

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Ryan Yates <fryguybob at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks!  I'll work on getting it onto the wiki soon.  My next step is to
> apply hardware transactions to improve STM performance.  For this I will
> need to collect some meaningful STM benchmarks.  If anyone has some
> particular use cases or code where they would like to see improved STM
> performance on I would love to know.  There are several potential
> improvements to the existing STM performance that I will also investigate
> along the way.
>
> Ryan
>

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones <
> simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>  Ryan****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Great stuff.  What you have is almost certainly more accurate, complete,
>> and up to date than anything else we have, so thank you.  As others have
>> said, putting it on the GHC wiki would be much the best place.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Perhaps here: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Rts/STM
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Simon****
>>
>> * *
>>
>> *Microsoft Research Limited (company number 03369488) is registered in
>> England and Wales*
>>
>> *Registered office 21 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2FB ***
>>
>> ** **

Bryan O'Sullivan
On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Carter Schonwald <
carter.schonwald at gmail.com> wrote:

> you have access to hardware for testing HTM? I thought haswell wasn't
> publicly available yet...

Intel's been handing out sample hardware for a while.