Selection Monad

Jakub Daniel
Hello,

I apologize in case this is not the right place to bring this question/proposal up. Some time ago I stumbled upon the Selection Monad [1] (also referred to as Search from the search package on hackage). Its relation to the Continuation Monad and the usefulness demonstrated in [1] made me wonder whether it would be nice to include Selection Monad in the core libraries along the Continuation Monad (in mtl and transformers) with all the business of selections attaining continuations. I can imagine the pattern to be too little recognised to justify such an addition, yet the theoretical connection to the Continuation Monad seems to be an interesting one and worth being addressed.

Best,

Jakub Daniel

[1] Jules Hedges. Monad transformers for backtracking search. In Proceedings of MSFP 2014. https://arxiv.org/abs/1406.2058

Re: Selection Monad

Eric Mertens
Hi Jakub,

The core libraries committee helps maintain libraries that are already critical to the Haskell ecosystem. It doesn’t select new libraries to be recommended to users. It’s possible that the search package is a hidden gem that more people need to know about. To accomplish that people will need to write software using it, market it with blog posts, and bring it up in discussions.

Best Regards,
Eric Mertens

On Jan 24, 2017, at 5:57 AM, Jakub Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Eric,

Just to clarify, my question was not about endorsing another library but rather extending the ones currently maintained by the committee with definition of a notion closely related to what is already contained in the libraries. It just so happens that Edward Kmett implemented the notion in a standalone library. However to me it does not make much sense to include ContT but not SelT (currently under the name Search) in the core libraries, despite their connection. I understand if this does not change the answer though.

Best Regards,
Jakub Daniel

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 at 17:39 Eric Mertens <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ben Gamari-2
Jakub Daniel <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Just to clarify, my question was not about endorsing another library but
> rather extending the ones currently maintained by the committee with
> definition of a notion closely related to what is already contained in the
> libraries. It just so happens that Edward Kmett implemented the notion in a
> standalone library. However to me it does not make much sense to include
> ContT but not SelT (currently under the name Search) in the core libraries,
> despite their connection. I understand if this does not change the answer
> though.

Admittedly the symmetry here is quite intriguing,

    data Sel  r x = Sel  {runSel  :: (x → r) → x}

    data Cont r x = Cont {runCont :: (x → r) → r}

In light of this I can see why one might say that including one yet not
the other is odd. That being said, I'm not on the CLC so this is merely
an idle observation.

Cheers,

- Ben