Quantcast

Self updating binary

Pieter Laeremans
Hi there,

Has anyone experience suggestions with writing self updating binaries
for windows ?
I have a small utility that I have to install on two "unmanaged" pc's,
I would like to let the program check an url, for new versions, download
a new versions,
some how check that the program is valid (with a build in key, or
certificate) and replace itself when necessary.

Has anyone already done this in Haskell? Any suggestions, links ?

Thanks,

Pieter
--
  Pieter Laeremans

Re: Self updating binary

Ivan Perez
Hi Pieter

Not recently, but back when I tried this for keera-posture, I had difficulties with one binary substituting itself *on windows*. If the file was being executed, I could not erase it.

(keera-posture did check a URL for new versions.)

You can download a setup program that you can run without user intervention, closing your main program while it updates. Some installation building systems support unattended updates/installations.

Otherwise, what you can do is to *rename* the current executable, store the new one in place of the old one, and erase old executables every time you start the app. Yes, it's a hack.

It would be great if we could have automatic updates of programs from remote archives using the package manager like on linux :(

Ivan