Server status script

Iñaki Malerba
Good morning.

First of all, this is my first message and English is not my native language so patience, please.

Im trying to write a script for my xmobar to show my server status. Its mainly a physical server and 2 virtual machines.

I tried by sending ping and checking the response, but the xmobar freezes everytime its executed until it finishes the run.

How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance !

checkserver.sh

#! /bin/bash
paping -p 81 -c 1 host.no-ip.org > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
    VM0=0
else
    VM0=1
fi
paping -p 82 -c 1 host.no-ip.org > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
    VM1=0
else
    VM1=1
fi
echo "here should say something acording to the result"

.xmobarrc
Run CommandReader "./home/inakim/.xmonad/checkServer.sh" "checkserver"

Re: Server status script

Brandon Allbery

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Iñaki Malerba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Im trying to write a script for my xmobar to show my server status. Its mainly a physical server and 2 virtual machines.

I tried by sending ping and checking the response, but the xmobar freezes everytime its executed until it finishes the run.

xmobar expects commands that it runs to return quickly. You will need to have a separate script that does the check and logs its result to a file, then check the contents of the file from xmobar.

Re: Server status script

Ben Boeckel
On Fri, 25 Sep, 2015 at 15:51:28 GMT, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> xmobar expects commands that it runs to return quickly. You will need to
> have a separate script that does the check and logs its result to a file,
> then check the contents of the file from xmobar.

You may also write the string to an X property on the root window and
read it using NamedXPropertyLog.

--Ben