Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC Wiki Page

Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC Wiki Page

Adam Steen-2
Hi All

I have created the Building/Preparation/OpenBSD Wiki Page, i have not yet link it to Building/Preparation page yet, but am looking for a review

Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC

Cheers
Adam

Re: Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC Wiki Page

Karel Gardas

LGTM, although I've not needed to do any python business you do, but
IMHO does not hurt anyway.

Thanks,
Karel

On 04/ 5/17 09:39 AM, Adam Steen wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have created the Building/Preparation/OpenBSD Wiki Page, i have not
> yet link it to Building/Preparation
> <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation> page yet,
> but am looking for a review
>
> Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC
> <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/OpenBSD>
>
> Cheers
> Adam

Re: Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC Wiki Page

Sergei Trofimovich
On Wed, 05 Apr 2017 20:58:41 +0200
Karel Gardas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for starting the page Adam!

Trying to wire older python look unusual. ghc-HEAD should work
fine with python3.

When I tried to build ghc on an fresh OpenBSD install I had
to install the following on top:

      - pkg_add py-sphinx [optional, to get docs]
      - pkg_add libiconv

--

  Sergei

On 04/ 5/17 10:01 PM, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
>        - pkg_add libiconv

Indeed, I completely overlooked this missing in pkg_add line. Anyway,
the configure is the correct one --with-iconv*...

Thanks for correction Sergei,

Karel

Re: Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC Wiki Page

Matthias Kilian
Hi Adam,

On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 03:39:18PM +0800, Adam Steen wrote:
> I have created the Building/Preparation/OpenBSD Wiki Page, i have not yet
> link it to Building/Preparation
> <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation> page yet, but
> am looking for a review
>
> Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC
> <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/OpenBSD>

Nice to see that some people actively work on ghc on OpenBSD (and
apologies for me beeing such a slacker keeping the ghc package for
OpenBSD up to date).

FWIW, you don't have to pass the very exact package name to pkg_add,
like 'autoconf-2.69p2' or ''automake-1.15p0'. There's a relatively new
concept in pkg_tools called 'branches' (see pkg_add(1) manpage).

You just have to replace the '-' separating the stem and the version by
a '%', e.g.

        pkg_add autoconf%2.69 automake%1.15

Then you'll get autoconf-2.69 and aotmake-1.15 regardless of what's the
current REVISION (aka package patchleve) ot the package.

Ciao,
        Kili

Re: Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC Wiki Page

Adam Steen-2
Good Morning All

Thanks for the replies

@Karel
After more testing it looks like i can remove the python business.

@Sergei and @Karel
libiconv is a prerequisite of ghc and is installed automatically, do
you think this should be explicit?

@Matthias
I will have to have a read about branches and will update the wiki shortly.

Cheers
Adam

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Matthias Kilian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2017 at 03:39:18PM +0800, Adam Steen wrote:
>> I have created the Building/Preparation/OpenBSD Wiki Page, i have not yet
>> link it to Building/Preparation
>> <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation> page yet, but
>> am looking for a review
>>
>> Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC
>> <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/OpenBSD>
>
> Nice to see that some people actively work on ghc on OpenBSD (and
> apologies for me beeing such a slacker keeping the ghc package for
> OpenBSD up to date).
>
> FWIW, you don't have to pass the very exact package name to pkg_add,
> like 'autoconf-2.69p2' or ''automake-1.15p0'. There's a relatively new
> concept in pkg_tools called 'branches' (see pkg_add(1) manpage).
>
> You just have to replace the '-' separating the stem and the version by
> a '%', e.g.
>
>         pkg_add autoconf%2.69 automake%1.15
>
> Then you'll get autoconf-2.69 and aotmake-1.15 regardless of what's the
> current REVISION (aka package patchleve) ot the package.
>
> Ciao,
>         Kili

Re: Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC Wiki Page

Sean Westfall
Hi Adam Steen,
I just chatted with you on https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/416, I just added so more info for the wxallowed step to your wiki page -- hope you don't mind. I'm gonna post something to this mailing list in a minute about the trouble I've been having with building GHC on openBSD 6.0.

Thanks,
Sean

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Adam Steen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation> page yet, but
>> am looking for a review
>>
>> Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC
>> <https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/OpenBSD>
>
> Nice to see that some people actively work on ghc on OpenBSD (and
> apologies for me beeing such a slacker keeping the ghc package for
> OpenBSD up to date).
>
> FWIW, you don't have to pass the very exact package name to pkg_add,
> like 'autoconf-2.69p2' or ''automake-1.15p0'. There's a relatively new
> concept in pkg_tools called 'branches' (see pkg_add(1) manpage).
>
> You just have to replace the '-' separating the stem and the version by
> a '%', e.g.
>
>         pkg_add autoconf%2.69 automake%1.15
>
> Then you'll get autoconf-2.69 and aotmake-1.15 regardless of what's the
> current REVISION (aka package patchleve) ot the package.

Sean Westfall
2644 E. 4th St.
Long Beach, CA 90802
ph: (808) 281-4695
em: [hidden email]

Re: Setting Up a OpenBSD System for Building GHC Wiki Page

Adam Steen-2
Hi Sean

The more people using OpenBSD and GHC the better, please add as much
information as you think necessary.

Cheers
Adam