Shall we make -dsuppress-uniques default?

Shall we make -dsuppress-uniques default?

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
I asked this on IRC and didn't hear a lot of opposition, so as the next step
I'd like to ask ghc-devs.

I literally never need the details on uniques that we currently print by
default. I either don't care about variables too much (when not comparing the
output with some other output), or I need -dsuppress-uniques (when comparing
outputs). The problem is I have to remember to add -dsuppress-uniques if I'm
going to compare the outputs, and if I decide to compare outputs after the fact
I need to re-generate them with -dsuppress-uniques. This takes time and effort.

If you're also of the same opinion I suggest making -dsuppress-uniques default,
and providing a -dno-suppress-uniques (if it doesn't already exist).

Ömer

Re: Shall we make -dsuppress-uniques default?

Richard Eisenberg-4
I'm in the opposite camp. More often than not, the biggest advantage of dumps during GHC development is to see the uniques. Indeed, I often ignore the actual names of variables and just work in my head with the uniques.

Perhaps the more complete answer is to fine-tune what settings cause the uniques to be printed. -ddump-xx-trace should almost certainly. Perhaps other modes needn't. What do you say to GHC to get it to print the uniques that you don't like?

Richard

> On Oct 5, 2018, at 2:48 PM, Ömer Sinan Ağacan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I asked this on IRC and didn't hear a lot of opposition, so as the next step
> I'd like to ask ghc-devs.
>
> I literally never need the details on uniques that we currently print by
> default. I either don't care about variables too much (when not comparing the
> output with some other output), or I need -dsuppress-uniques (when comparing
> outputs). The problem is I have to remember to add -dsuppress-uniques if I'm
> going to compare the outputs, and if I decide to compare outputs after the fact
> I need to re-generate them with -dsuppress-uniques. This takes time and effort.
>
> If you're also of the same opinion I suggest making -dsuppress-uniques default,
> and providing a -dno-suppress-uniques (if it doesn't already exist).
>
> Ömer

Re: Shall we make -dsuppress-uniques default?

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
> What do you say to GHC to get it to print the uniques that you don't like?

I usually use one of these: -ddump-simpl, -dverbose-core2core,
-ddump-simpl-iterations, -ddump-stg. All of these print variables with unique
details and I literally never need those details. Rarely I use -ddump-cmm too.

Agreed that having different defaults in different dumps/traces might work ..

Ömer

Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]>, 5 Eki 2018 Cum, 21:54
tarihinde şunu yazdı:

> I'm in the opposite camp. More often than not, the biggest advantage of dumps during GHC development is to see the uniques. Indeed, I often ignore the actual names of variables and just work in my head with the uniques.
>
> Perhaps the more complete answer is to fine-tune what settings cause the uniques to be printed. -ddump-xx-trace should almost certainly. Perhaps other modes needn't. What do you say to GHC to get it to print the uniques that you don't like?
>
> Richard
>
> > On Oct 5, 2018, at 2:48 PM, Ömer Sinan Ağacan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I asked this on IRC and didn't hear a lot of opposition, so as the next step
> > I'd like to ask ghc-devs.
> >
> > I literally never need the details on uniques that we currently print by
> > default. I either don't care about variables too much (when not comparing the
> > output with some other output), or I need -dsuppress-uniques (when comparing
> > outputs). The problem is I have to remember to add -dsuppress-uniques if I'm
> > going to compare the outputs, and if I decide to compare outputs after the fact
> > I need to re-generate them with -dsuppress-uniques. This takes time and effort.
> >
> > If you're also of the same opinion I suggest making -dsuppress-uniques default,
> > and providing a -dno-suppress-uniques (if it doesn't already exist).
> >
> > Ömer

RE: Shall we make -dsuppress-uniques default?

GHC - devs mailing list
Like Richard I use the uniques all the time.

I'd prefer to leave it as-is, unless there is widespread support for a change

Simon Marlow-7
For what it's worth, I put this in my .zshrc

cleancore=(-ddump-simpl -dsuppress-coercions -dsuppress-var-kinds -dsuppress-idinfo -dsuppress-type-signatures -dsuppress-type-applications)

and then ghc $cleancore -c Foo.hs

but this is mainly for the use case of "I wonder if this thing is getting optimised the way I hope, let's have a look at the Core".

There's also this little tool which is aimed at the same kind of thing: https://github.com/shachaf/ghc-core

So I'd say there's definitely a demand for something, but it's not entirely clear what the something is.  Someone could make a proposal...