Shim: finding modules

Graham Fawcett
Hi folks, I'm a newbie, so please forgive any terminological mistakes.

I've been using Shim in Emacs with great success, but there's one
issue I've encountered, and I don't know if it's configuration problem
or something fundamental. Consider a module 'App' and submodules
'App.Front' and 'App.Back'. When editing code in App that depends on
the submodules, Shim works well at resolving the location of the
submodules, and validates my code. But when editing App.Front, which
depends on App.Back, Shim fails to validate -- my working directory is
App.Front, and Shim doesn't seem able to find the location of
App.Back.

I'd like to be able to tell Shim that 'App' is the root of my project,
and to locate modules from that root. Is this possible?

On a related note, it seems that Shim is moribund (though others have
forked it, mostly for Vim support?). Given its utility, I'm surprised
by this. Do you have other support tools that serve a similar role? (I
know of haskell-mode, but the GHC API integration seems to be the
feature that sets Shim apart.)

Thanks,
Graham

Re: Shim: finding modules

Pepe Iborra-3

On 16/04/2008, at 22:15, Graham Fawcett wrote:

> Hi folks, I'm a newbie, so please forgive any terminological mistakes.
>
> I've been using Shim in Emacs with great success, but there's one
> issue I've encountered, and I don't know if it's configuration problem
> or something fundamental. Consider a module 'App' and submodules
> 'App.Front' and 'App.Back'. When editing code in App that depends on
> the submodules, Shim works well at resolving the location of the
> submodules, and validates my code. But when editing App.Front, which
> depends on App.Back, Shim fails to validate -- my working directory is
> App.Front, and Shim doesn't seem able to find the location of
> App.Back.
>
> I'd like to be able to tell Shim that 'App' is the root of my project,
> and to locate modules from that root. Is this possible?

Shim already does this. All it requires is that your project is a
Cabal project. Shim will locate the Cabal descriptor and auto
configure itself from there. Does that solve your problem ?

Cheers
pepe

Re: Shim: finding modules

Graham Fawcett
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:26 AM, pepe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  On 16/04/2008, at 22:15, Graham Fawcett wrote:

> > I'd like to be able to tell Shim that 'App' is the root of my project,
> > and to locate modules from that root. Is this possible?
>
>  Shim already does this. All it requires is that your project is a Cabal
> project. Shim will locate the Cabal descriptor and auto configure itself
> from there. Does that solve your problem ?

It does! Thanks very much.

Graham

Re: Shim: finding modules

Marc Weber
> I'd like to be able to tell Shim that 'App' is the root of my project,
> and to locate modules from that root. Is this possible?
If adding the cabal file does'nt work contact me and we'll try to
reslove this issue. Are you willing to test new versions/ extensions?
Are you already using ghc-6.8 ?
Must shim still work for ghc-6.6 ?

> On a related note, it seems that Shim is moribund (though others have
No it is not / won't in the near future
Benedikt (author) has even takled to me on irc for 20min
I'm the one who has asked and forked because of vim.
But I don't plan to keep it forked. That time I didn't knew how to
contribute and didn't got any feedback. That's why I've put another shim
repository on my server. Maybe you also want to help?
It would be cool to get shim integrated into the EclipseFP as well.
But there is still a lot to do.

Anyway it's nice to see that shim is beeing used.

Marc Weber

Re: Shim: finding modules

Graham Fawcett
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to tell Shim that 'App' is the root of my project,
>  > and to locate modules from that root. Is this possible?
>  If adding the cabal file does'nt work contact me and we'll try to
>  reslove this issue.

It did work, but thanks for the offer of help.

> Are you willing to test new versions/ extensions? Are you already using ghc-6.8 ?

Yes, and I don't need ghc-6 support. I'm not sure how much I can help,
but I would be a willing tester (on Emacs, particularly).

>  Anyway it's nice to see that shim is beeing used.

Equally glad that it's being supported! Thank you.

Graham

Re: Shim: finding modules

Gour-3

Graham> Equally glad that it's being supported! Thank you.

Where one can found it?

Few days ago I was told on #haskell that shim is dead :-/

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D

Re: Re: Shim: finding modules

Graham Fawcett
2008/4/17 Gour <[hidden email]>:

>  Graham> Equally glad that it's being supported! Thank you.
>
>  Where one can found it?
>
>  Few days ago I was told on #haskell that shim is dead :-/

The original, I believe:
http://mapcar.org/haskell/shim/

Mark Weber's fork is here (discussed April 8 on haskell-cafe):
http://mawercer.de/~publicrepos/shim/

Graham