Simplifying subsumption

GHC - devs mailing list

Jurriaan, Ben

I have a MR up for #17775, which implements the now-accepted GHC proposal to simplify subsumption.

https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/2600

However, it requires some eta expansions in haskeline, and maybe other packages.  I don’t know how to do that.  Could you, or another member of the GHC support team, help do this?  We want a MR we can validate on its own before committing, of course.

Jurriaan has all the necessary library patches.

We should not commit to HEAD until there has been some code review, though.

Moreover as we know, when committed, it’ll break a number of packages, so we need to broadcast a warning, along with the patches Jurriaan has to fix them.  I’m not sure when and how to do that.

Thanks!

RE: Simplifying subsumption

GHC - devs mailing list
Jurriaan,

It would be good to dig out the patches that affect packages without which GHC cannot build. (E.g. haskeline.)   Would that take long? You have them already...   It doesn't have to be perfect or git-tracked; just send a patch file in an email.  I'm just trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

A more systematic set of patches, for all the hackage packages you looked at, could certainly wait a week or three.

Thanks

Simon