Some great results on fused code with the LLVM backend

Some great results on fused code with the LLVM backend

Don Stewart-2
I tried out some of the vector and uvector fusion benchmarks with the
new LLVM backend

    http://donsbot.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/smoking-fast-haskell-code-using-ghcs-new-llvm-codegen/

and got some great results for the tight loops generated through fusion.
Up to 2x faster than gcc -O3 in some cases.

The LLVM backend looks very promising -- considering we've not even
begun to explore the optimization pipeline at the level.

-- Don

Re: Some great results on fused code with the LLVM backend

Jesper Louis Andersen-2
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Don Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried out some of the vector and uvector fusion benchmarks with the
> new LLVM backend and got some great results for the tight loops generated through fusion.

This is excellent news!

> The LLVM backend looks very promising -- considering we've not even
> begun to explore the optimization pipeline at the level.

There is a complete cake at:

http://llvm.org/docs/Passes.html (yes, I dabbled in LLVM for some time)

Some of the analysis passes gives us a nice hook into the toolchain
when you want to see what is going on at the lowest level. Some of the
transformations will, perhaps, yield some speedups.

--
J.