Starting hacking on GHC

Andrew Rmnsky

Hello everyone! I would like to contribute to GHC, but I don't know where to start (I have built it already from the source). I'd be happy if someone gave me a piece of advice on what task I should pick for the beginning.

A few words about my background:
CS student, 4-th grade, have some experience with Haskell (I had a course on Haskell in my university where I studied some theory like Monoids, Functors, Applicatives Monads, Monad Transformers, Lens, basics of parallel and concurrent programming in Haskell and I have solved some algorithmic problems. I also practiced developing small web-apps with Haskell, using warp, aeson, postgresql-simple and some other libraries.

Looking forward for your replies. Thank you in advance!

Andrew Romanovsky.

Re: Starting hacking on GHC

Ara Adkins
Hi Andrew,

Welcome! Before I go suggesting particular tickets, I just wanted to make sure that you've taken a look at this section https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers#Findingaticket of the Newcomers page! It lists a decent set of tickets deemed workable for newcomers. This doesn't, of course, mean that you have to go it alone. In my experience people are always happy to help!

Best,
_ara

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 at 14:57, Andrew Rmnsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone! I would like to contribute to GHC, but I don't know where to start (I have built it already from the source). I'd be happy if someone gave me a piece of advice on what task I should pick for the beginning.

A few words about my background:
CS student, 4-th grade, have some experience with Haskell (I had a course on Haskell in my university where I studied some theory like Monoids, Functors, Applicatives Monads, Monad Transformers, Lens, basics of parallel and concurrent programming in Haskell and I have solved some algorithmic problems. I also practiced developing small web-apps with Haskell, using warp, aeson, postgresql-simple and some other libraries.

Looking forward for your replies. Thank you in advance!

Andrew Romanovsky.

Re: Starting hacking on GHC

Ben Gamari-3
Andrew Rmnsky <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello everyone! I would like to contribute to GHC, but I don't know where
> to start (I have built it already from the source). I'd be happy if someone
> gave me a piece of advice on what task I should pick for the beginning.

Hi Andrew,

Welcome! Have you seen the Newcomers page [1]? There you will find a
list of tickets which various people have deemed good entry points
into GHC development. Which you would like to pick up very much depends
upon your background, interests, and goals.

For instance, if you are familiar (or willing to learn) about stream
fusion then #14037 would likely be an intriguing starting point. If you
want to improve generics and do some simplifier sleuthing then perhaps
#11068 is a better fit. If you are interested in working on
the runtime then perhaps #14069 is of interest. Documentation
contributions are also always appreciated (e.g. #14099, #14023).

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Newcomers