Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Heinrich Apfelmus
Jeremy O'Donoghue wrote:
>          - What everyone would *really* like is a less 'imperative' style of
>    GUI programming. It's true that wxHaskell, GtkHS and so on basically let you
>    do type safe C programming. This *does* need the uber type hackers and
>    Haskell experts, but work in this direction has been equally stifled by the
>    fact that the GUI bindings like wxHaskell tend not to get enough love to fix
>    issues they are seeing.

The reactive-banana library is my attempt to work on that.

   http://apfelmus.nfshost.com/blog/2011/04/28-frp-banana-0-2.html

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Murray Campbell
On 2011-05-20, Evan Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note that it is supposed to be possible to build gtk2hs with gtk+osx,
>> which will not use X11 but use the native OS X GUI. I've not been able
>> to get this to work, but it's been a while since I tried. The Haskell
>> wiki mentions it doesn't support Glade, but does support Cairo. If
>> this were to work, gtk2hs would be a serious option as well.
>
> I've tried this 3 or 4 times, and failed every time.  It's crazy complicated.

A couple of months ago I succeeded in installing gtk2hs like this on a
Snow Leopard MacBook Air and it seemed to work pretty well.  It was
indeed a fairly involved process but it seemed to work and, with a
slightly modified ige-mac-integration, got nice mac-style menu bars etc.
for my application.  Unfortunately I'm travelling at the moment and
don't have the mac with me and I'm a little hazy on the details but when
I get back I'll try to write up my experience.

Murray Campbell <[hidden email]>

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

John Lato-2
Message: 17
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:59:51 -0700
From: Evan Laforge <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics
To: Erik Hesselink <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

> Note that it is supposed to be possible to build gtk2hs with gtk+osx,
> which will not use X11 but use the native OS X GUI. I've not been able
> to get this to work, but it's been a while since I tried. The Haskell
> wiki mentions it doesn't support Glade, but does support Cairo. If
> this were to work, gtk2hs would be a serious option as well.

I've tried this 3 or 4 times, and failed every time.  It's crazy complicated.

I used to use this combination regularly.  IME the difficulties are primarily with getting a working gtk+osx build.  Once that was accomplished, gtk2hs was a straightforward install, provided you build from the src repo with the -quartz flag.

Recently I've switched to using macports gtk2 with the quartz, no-x11 variant, which also uses native cocoa.  This is much more reliable than gtk+osx.  I don't know if it supports Glade though.

My biggest problem with wx is that there's no support for building 64-bit wx applications on OS X.  If that were fixed I might prefer it.

John Lato

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Conal Elliott
Last I tried, there wasn't native support for OpenGL with gtk, and I need OpenGL. Then more recently, I heard of some progress in that area, but requiring lots of hacking to get it all compiling. Any recent news?  - Conal

Message: 17
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:59:51 -0700
From: Evan Laforge <[hidden email]>

To: Erik Hesselink <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

> Note that it is supposed to be possible to build gtk2hs with gtk+osx,
> which will not use X11 but use the native OS X GUI. I've not been able
> to get this to work, but it's been a while since I tried. The Haskell
> wiki mentions it doesn't support Glade, but does support Cairo. If
> this were to work, gtk2hs would be a serious option as well.

I've tried this 3 or 4 times, and failed every time.  It's crazy complicated.

I used to use this combination regularly.  IME the difficulties are primarily with getting a working gtk+osx build.  Once that was accomplished, gtk2hs was a straightforward install, provided you build from the src repo with the -quartz flag.

Recently I've switched to using macports gtk2 with the quartz, no-x11 variant, which also uses native cocoa.  This is much more reliable than gtk+osx.  I don't know if it supports Glade though.

My biggest problem with wx is that there's no support for building 64-bit wx applications on OS X.  If that were fixed I might prefer it.

John Lato

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

John Lato-2
You can use gtkglext to get OpenGL support.  With the official release of gtkglext-1.2.0 there's a bit of hacking involved (that was probably me you're referring to), but it looks like the repo head has native Quartz.  With any luck, you just need to build gtkglext from the repo, then the gtkglext package.

I might have some time to try this later today; I'll report back if I get results.

John Lato

Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:59:51 -0700
From: Evan Laforge <[hidden email]>

To: Erik Hesselink <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

> Note that it is supposed to be possible to build gtk2hs with gtk+osx,
> which will not use X11 but use the native OS X GUI. I've not been able
> to get this to work, but it's been a while since I tried. The Haskell
> wiki mentions it doesn't support Glade, but does support Cairo. If
> this were to work, gtk2hs would be a serious option as well.

I've tried this 3 or 4 times, and failed every time.  It's crazy complicated.

I used to use this combination regularly.  IME the difficulties are primarily with getting a working gtk+osx build.  Once that was accomplished, gtk2hs was a straightforward install, provided you build from the src repo with the -quartz flag.

Recently I've switched to using macports gtk2 with the quartz, no-x11 variant, which also uses native cocoa.  This is much more reliable than gtk+osx.  I don't know if it supports Glade though.

My biggest problem with wx is that there's no support for building 64-bit wx applications on OS X.  If that were fixed I might prefer it.

John Lato

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

quick

There are interesting scenarios where a "browser" is not required.  I haven't worked with Snoyman's wai-handler-webkit which may be along these lines, but there's also https://developer.mozilla.org/en/xulrunner which provides the intriguing capability of an application that has (cross-platform) native-looking local windows but which can also interact via a (local or remote) browser.  Clearly there's a gap between here and there, but part of that gap is the ability to simply and easily generate internal Javascript (to drive xulrunner) without actually programming in Javascript (it's just an API layer to the display, which is what I interpreted Jurriën Stutterheim's comments to be referring to).

--
-KQ

Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:59:51 -0700
From: Evan Laforge <[hidden email]>

To: Erik Hesselink <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

> Note that it is supposed to be possible to build gtk2hs with gtk+osx,
> which will not use X11 but use the native OS X GUI. I've not been able
> to get this to work, but it's been a while since I tried. The Haskell
> wiki mentions it doesn't support Glade, but does support Cairo. If
> this were to work, gtk2hs would be a serious option as well.

I've tried this 3 or 4 times, and failed every time.  It's crazy complicated.

I used to use this combination regularly.  IME the difficulties are primarily with getting a working gtk+osx build.  Once that was accomplished, gtk2hs was a straightforward install, provided you build from the src repo with the -quartz flag.

Recently I've switched to using macports gtk2 with the quartz, no-x11 variant, which also uses native cocoa.  This is much more reliable than gtk+osx.  I don't know if it supports Glade though.

My biggest problem with wx is that there's no support for building 64-bit wx applications on OS X.  If that were fixed I might prefer it.

John Lato

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Evan Laforge
fltk supports OpenGL on windows, X11, and OS X, though I've never used
it.  The thing it doesn't have is a haskell binding, but as I
mentioned I just bind whatever I need when I need it and since I don't
need much it's easy.  Dunno if this applies in your case though.

Maybe it's my NIH, but I like to start with something too simple and
add what I need rather than start with something that has more than I
need and try to get it working.

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Conal Elliott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, John. Encouraging bit of news. Please do let us know what you learn
> when you try.   - Conal
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:28 AM, John Lato <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You can use gtkglext to get OpenGL support.  With the official release of
>> gtkglext-1.2.0 there's a bit of hacking involved (that was probably me
>> you're referring to), but it looks like the repo head has native Quartz.
>> With any luck, you just need to build gtkglext from the repo, then the
>> gtkglext package.
>>
>> I might have some time to try this later today; I'll report back if I get
>> results.
>>
>> John Lato
>>
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Conal Elliott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Last I tried, there wasn't native support for OpenGL with gtk, and I need
>>> OpenGL. Then more recently, I heard of some progress in that area, but
>>> requiring lots of hacking to get it all compiling. Any recent news?  - Conal

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

John Lato-2
fltk definitely has some good points, but I've always found it hideously ugly.  Of course the default gtk on osx is ugly too, but some of the available themes are nice.

However, getting gtk with OpenGL on osx was fairly easy.  Everything worked out of the box except gtkglext (Haskell package).  I've submitted some patches for that which hopefully will be applied to the repo soon.

This is what I used:

git
darcs
ghc-7.0.3 (self-compiled)
cabal-install
macports gtk2 +no_x11 +quartz
macports gtkglext +no_x11 +quartz
gtk2hs from source
gtkglext (Haskell) from source

I use a self-compiled ghc, but this should work with any ghc.  Mixing ghc and macports can cause problems with libiconv, but the solutions are pretty well-known.  Since I compile ghc, I configure it to use macports's libiconv so there aren't any conflicts.

> sudo port install gtkglext +no_x11 +quartz
(wait a while...)
> darcs get --lazy http://code.haskell.org/gtk2hs
> cd gtk
> cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools
> chmod +x bootstrap.sh
> ./bootstrap.sh "-fhave-quartz-gtk"
(wait a while...)
> cd ..
> darcs get --lazy http://code.haskell.org/gtkglext
> cd gtkglext
> darcs apply gtkglext.dpatch
> cabal install

Until the source tree gets patched, you'll have to manually apply the patch bundle.

If you want to avoid macports, it should be possible to use gtk-osx and gtkglext from source instead.  However, I've found gtk-osx to be unstable and quite difficult to build in the past, so I'd strongly recommend macports, at least for now.  The source install of gtkglext works just fine and can be used with macports gtk2 (I tested this).  Since this path already uses macports there's not much benefit though.

Cheers,
John L

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Evan Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:
fltk supports OpenGL on windows, X11, and OS X, though I've never used
it.  The thing it doesn't have is a haskell binding, but as I
mentioned I just bind whatever I need when I need it and since I don't
need much it's easy.  Dunno if this applies in your case though.

Maybe it's my NIH, but I like to start with something too simple and
add what I need rather than start with something that has more than I
need and try to get it working.

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Conal Elliott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, John. Encouraging bit of news. Please do let us know what you learn
> when you try.   - Conal
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:28 AM, John Lato <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You can use gtkglext to get OpenGL support.  With the official release of
>> gtkglext-1.2.0 there's a bit of hacking involved (that was probably me
>> you're referring to), but it looks like the repo head has native Quartz.
>> With any luck, you just need to build gtkglext from the repo, then the
>> gtkglext package.
>>
>> I might have some time to try this later today; I'll report back if I get
>> results.
>>
>> John Lato
>>
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Conal Elliott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Last I tried, there wasn't native support for OpenGL with gtk, and I need
>>> OpenGL. Then more recently, I heard of some progress in that area, but
>>> requiring lots of hacking to get it all compiling. Any recent news?  - Conal

Re: Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Conal Elliott
Thanks for these instructions, John. I had to adapt to my 32-bit ghc by adding "+universal" to the 'port install' lines. I did not find a gtkglext.dpatch. Has it been roled into the gtkglext darcs repo? I guess not, since the last update was Nov 7 ("Tag 0.12.0"), according to 'darcs changes'.

Eventually everything compiled, but I get a linking error. When building an executable, I get

    Linking dist/build/TestImage/TestImage ...
    Undefined symbols:
      "_gdk_gl_config_get_screen", referenced from:
          _s8kj_info in libHSgtkglext-0.12.0.a(Config.o)
      "_gdk_gl_context_is_direct", referenced from:
          _s73Y_info in libHSgtkglext-0.12.0.a(Context.o)
      "_gdk_gl_context_get_gl_config", referenced from:
          _s777_info in libHSgtkglext-0.12.0.a(Context.o)
      "_gdk_gl_context_get_render_type", referenced from:
          _s7lg_info in libHSgtkglext-0.12.0.a(Context.o)
      "_gdk_gl_context_get_share_list", referenced from:
          _s75v_info in libHSgtkglext-0.12.0.a(Context.o)
      "_gdk_gl_config_get_depth", referenced from:
          _s8r6_info in libHSgtkglext-0.12.0.a(Config.o)

In ghci:

    *Main> main
    unknown symbol `_gdk_gl_context_get_render_type'
    ghc: unable to load package `gtkglext-0.12.0'
    *Main>

Are these failures about the missing patch?

  - Conal