Status of downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/master/

Status of downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/master/

Artem Pelenitsyn
Hello devs,

What is the status of this directory [1]? It doesn't seem to be the tip of the master branch in the repo. In the documentation [2] it says:

> GHC 8.5.20180424 User's Guide

I'm asking because it has broken links to the base haddocks in it (here [3] try clicking on any link to the library docs, e.g. GHC.Conc.par), and Google happily indexes and spits out as results of search queries everything laying here and there, including these pages. Broken links could lead “outsiders” to a somewhat underwhelming impression of the state of infrastructure.

--
Best wishes,
Artem

Re: Status of downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/master/

Ben Gamari-2
Artem Pelenitsyn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello devs,

Hi Artem,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

> What is the status of this directory [1]? It doesn't seem to be the tip of
> the master branch in the repo. In the documentation [2] it says:
>
>> GHC 8.5.20180424 User's Guide

It is supposed to be maintained by a cron job running on a machine I
have locally. Unfortunately, the cron job proved to be quite a challenge to
keep running reliably and at some point I punted on it until our CI
situation was sorted.

Now since we have proper CI I would like to automate the extraction of a
nightly documentation from the CI tarballs. I have started this in !79.

In the meantime I have kicked off a run of the ad-hoc script to hold us
over until the CI-based solution is merged.

> I'm asking because it has broken links to the base haddocks in it (here [3]
> try clicking on any link to the library docs, e.g. GHC.Conc.par), and
> Google happily indexes and spits out as results of search queries
> everything laying here and there, including these pages. Broken links could
> lead “outsiders” to a somewhat underwhelming impression of the state of
> infrastructure.

Hmm, this is indeed surprising. It looks like the problem is a mismatch
between the links produced by Sphinx and those produced by Haddock. I'll
investigate.

For the record, the whole CI-based documentation effort is being tracked
in #14475.

Cheers,

- Ben