Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Iavor Diatchki
Hello,

During our Haskell Prime lunch meeting at ICFP, I promised to create a detailed step-by-step guide for creating Haskell Prime proposals on GitHub.  The instructions are now available here:

Please have a look and let me know if something is unclear, or if I misunderstood something about the process.

Cheers,
-Iavor

Re: Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Haskell - Haskell-prime mailing list
On 04.10.2016 01:27, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> During our Haskell Prime lunch meeting at ICFP, I promised to create a detailed
> step-by-step guide for creating Haskell Prime proposals on GitHub.  The
> instructions are now available here:
>
>  https://github.com/yav/rfcs/blob/instructions/step-by-step-instructions.md
>
> Please have a look and let me know if something is unclear, or if I misunderstood
> something about the process.

The target audience for this document is someone who is unfamiliar with Git and
Github, which we should make clear at the beginning. As an experienced user, it
left me searching for relevant information among all those sub-lists to find out
that it really just is about opening a pull request containing a template. We
might provide a link to the document in the process section [1] of the current
README if others think this amount of detail helps lowering the barrier of entry.

One thing we should also mention somewhere is to please provide a link to the
rendered version of the proposal in the ticket, because Git diffs are in a very
reader-unfriendly format.

Greetings,
David

[1]: https://github.com/yav/rfcs/tree/instructions#proposal-process

--
My GPG keys: https://keybase.io/quchen

Re: Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Iavor Diatchki
OK, I put a section at the top saying that, and then summarizing the process for people who are familiar with the tools.   I also updated the last list to say that you should add a link to the rendered version and how to do it.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 8:40 AM, David Luposchainsky via Haskell-prime <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04.10.2016 01:27, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> During our Haskell Prime lunch meeting at ICFP, I promised to create a detailed
> step-by-step guide for creating Haskell Prime proposals on GitHub.  The
> instructions are now available here:

https://github.com/yav/rfcs/blob/instructions/step-by-step-instructions.md

> Please have a look and let me know if something is unclear, or if I misunderstood
> something about the process.

The target audience for this document is someone who is unfamiliar with Git and
Github, which we should make clear at the beginning. As an experienced user, it
left me searching for relevant information among all those sub-lists to find out
that it really just is about opening a pull request containing a template. We
might provide a link to the document in the process section [1] of the current
README if others think this amount of detail helps lowering the barrier of entry.

One thing we should also mention somewhere is to please provide a link to the
rendered version of the proposal in the ticket, because Git diffs are in a very
reader-unfriendly format.

Greetings,
David

[1]: https://github.com/yav/rfcs/tree/instructions#proposal-process

--
My GPG keys: https://keybase.io/quchen

Re: Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Takenobu Tani
Dear Iavor,

Members of non prime-commitiee could send pull-request?

README.rst [1] is written as follows:

> While the process is open for everyone to participate, contributing entirely new issues is currently limited to the members of the Core Language Committee.

Regards,
Takenobu

Hello,

During our Haskell Prime lunch meeting at ICFP, I promised to create a detailed step-by-step guide for creating Haskell Prime proposals on GitHub.  The instructions are now available here:

Please have a look and let me know if something is unclear, or if I misunderstood something about the process.

Cheers,
-Iavor

Re: Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Carter Schonwald
I guess the question is what is the definition of issue in that context?

Whatever the specifics, I think if you either

a) privately talk with a memeber of the committee about what you intend to do and they are willing to "co own" / "sponsor it", and this is indicated in the pr summary or the like
B) ask on the list about a particular proposal / pr you wish to write up and at least 2-3 committee members explicitly respond with supportive noise like "sure"/ "go for it" etc, then linking that thread as part of the description of the PR  counts as support by those committee members for that pr

(Mind you I'm making up this approach / rubric)

The intent I think of the current language in the repo is that drowning in proposals would not be a good state of affairs, and that likewise members of can hold each other accountable.

Anyways: what do you have in mind? :)

2016-10-04 8:27 GMT+09:00 Iavor Diatchki <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;iavor.diatchki@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">iavor.diatchki@...>:
Hello,

During our Haskell Prime lunch meeting at ICFP, I promised to create a detailed step-by-step guide for creating Haskell Prime proposals on GitHub.  The instructions are now available here:

Please have a look and let me know if something is unclear, or if I misunderstood something about the process.

Cheers,
-Iavor

Re: Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Takenobu Tani
Thank you for your kind explanation.

I understood that accountability of a proposal (github PR) is very important.
If it doesn't exist, the github proposal repo may become a collection of "throw-out" PRs.
It's reasonable for me that only committee members can create PRs.

In my understanding from your explanation, the proposal process is the following:

(1) pre-discussion about a particular proposal [everyone]
      * privately talk with committee members, or,
      * talk on the haskell-prime mailing list

(2) creating the new proposal on github [only committee members]
      * PR by a committee member

(3) open discussion on github [everyone]
      * conservation on the PR

For me, (1) is now clear.
If it's written somewhere, it's easy for non-committee members to understand the total proposal process:)

Thank you for committee's great work,
Takenobu

I guess the question is what is the definition of issue in that context?

Whatever the specifics, I think if you either

a) privately talk with a memeber of the committee about what you intend to do and they are willing to "co own" / "sponsor it", and this is indicated in the pr summary or the like
B) ask on the list about a particular proposal / pr you wish to write up and at least 2-3 committee members explicitly respond with supportive noise like "sure"/ "go for it" etc, then linking that thread as part of the description of the PR  counts as support by those committee members for that pr

(Mind you I'm making up this approach / rubric)

The intent I think of the current language in the repo is that drowning in proposals would not be a good state of affairs, and that likewise members of can hold each other accountable.

Anyways: what do you have in mind? :)

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016, Takenobu Tani <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Iavor,

Members of non prime-commitiee could send pull-request?

README.rst [1] is written as follows:

> While the process is open for everyone to participate, contributing entirely new issues is currently limited to the members of the Core Language Committee.

Regards,
Takenobu

Hello,

During our Haskell Prime lunch meeting at ICFP, I promised to create a detailed step-by-step guide for creating Haskell Prime proposals on GitHub.  The instructions are now available here:

Please have a look and let me know if something is unclear, or if I misunderstood something about the process.

Cheers,
-Iavor

Re: Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Carter Schonwald
Hrmm, I guess I shall have to do my first pr, unless anyone else thinks we should tweet this clarification slightly? But i suppose that can be on the pr :)

2016-10-06 6:50 GMT+09:00 Carter Schonwald <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;carter.schonwald@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">carter.schonwald@...>:

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016, Takenobu Tani <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;takenobu.hs@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">takenobu.hs@...> wrote:
Dear Iavor,

Members of non prime-commitiee could send pull-request?

README.rst [1] is written as follows:

> While the process is open for everyone to participate, contributing entirely new issues is currently limited to the members of the Core Language Committee.

Regards,
Takenobu

Hello,

During our Haskell Prime lunch meeting at ICFP, I promised to create a detailed step-by-step guide for creating Haskell Prime proposals on GitHub.  The instructions are now available here:

Please have a look and let me know if something is unclear, or if I misunderstood something about the process.

Cheers,
-Iavor

Re: Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Takenobu Tani
GHC proposal process is active at same time.
To avoid confusion about starting process, it's good that pre-starting process is written somewhere.

What about directly writing at README.rst as following?
(It's simpler than PR.)

[README.rst]
  While the process is open for everyone to participate, contributing entirely
  new issues is currently limited to the members of the Core Language Committee.
+ If you want to create entirely new issue, privately talk with member of the
+ committee or ask on haskell-prime mailing list.

I think that non-member will understand pre-process :)

Regards,
Takenobu

Hrmm, I guess I shall have to do my first pr, unless anyone else thinks we should tweet this clarification slightly? But i suppose that can be on the pr :)

Re: Step-by-step guide for creating a new proposal

Carter Schonwald
Sounds good to me unless anyone objects or has an alternative?

2016-10-06 23:38 GMT+09:00 Carter Schonwald <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;carter.schonwald@gmail.com&#39;);" target="_blank">carter.schonwald@...>: