Summer of Code Summit and Haskell

Donald Bruce Stewart
Hey all,

The Google Summer of Code is now wrapping up, and Haskell.org's projects
have been quite successful. The full details will available soon in a
report we're preparing (next week some time), though quite likely you
have already seen the various student projects previously announced to
the community.

As part of the analysis of this year's SoC, Google is holding a Summer
of Code summit, at Google Headquarters, next weekend. The purpose of the
summit is to bring together mentors from successful organizations to
discuss how to improve the GSoC, and how Google can do more for open
source development.

Two representatives of the Haskell.org Summer of Code mentors have been
chosen by the Haskell SoC team to represent the SoC effort, and the
community at large, at this event: Shae Erisson and myself. We'll be
attending the 1 day summit, and plan to present a short, focused talk
introducing Haskell, and describing how the distributed, open source
community around Haskell has been built.

As part of this, we're seeking the community's advice and ideas on how
well the Haskell community "works" as a (somewhat anarchic)
organisation, how we're progressing, what things have been done well,
and what needs to be done better. Also, for those who were involved with
the Summer of Code, whether as mentors or students, how could that be
improved from the Haskell community's point of view?

The best way to contribute would be to email your thoughts to us directly.

Cheers,
  Don Stewart & Shae Erisson

open assistant professorship at Utrecht University, Software Technology

S. Doaitse Swierstra-2
We have an open  5 year position for an assistant professor.

Current areas of interest are:
   - domain specific embedded languages (especially in the form of
combinator languages)
   - programming language design and implementation
   - generic programming techniques
   - tools and methods for building complex systems out of a large
number of artefacts in a controlled way
   - program verification
   - systems for generating informative feedback to users in the case
of inconsistencies in specifications
   - advanced type systems and their implementation
   - software generation

We strongly believe that the functional programming paradigm is an
excellent starting point for many new developments in the above
mentioned areas. In our research we try to identify real problems, to
find solutions for them, to formalise these, and to build tools in
order to convey the solutions to the problem holders. Thus we try to
combine sound principles for solving real-life problems. Given the
increased pressure on our finances cooperation with industry is of
growing importance, which will also hold for this position.
Further details can be found at:

http://www.cs.uu.nl/vacatures/en/62612.html

Doaitse Swierstra