System.Process and ghc 6.8.2

Erik de Castro Lopo-29
Hi all,

I'm using ghc/ghci 6.8.2 and looking at the System.Process module.

Hoogle lists functions like readProcess and readProcessWithExitCode but
they don't seem to exist. Is 6.8.2 too early?

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"Christianity has a nasty habit of ignoring the major problems of
our time, including overpopulation and exhaustion of resources,
because  they aren't mentioned in the Bible."
-- Paula L. Craig

System.Process and ghc 6.8.2

Erik de Castro Lopo-29
Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Hoogle lists functions like readProcess and readProcessWithExitCode but
> they don't seem to exist. Is 6.8.2 too early?

It seems the answer is yes, 6.8.2 is too early.

Now trying to create reimplement readProcess in terms of runInteractiveProcess.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."
-- George Bernard Shaw

System.Process and ghc 6.8.2

Conrad Meyer
On Wednesday 21 January 2009 10:43:16 pm Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > Hoogle lists functions like readProcess and readProcessWithExitCode but
> > they don't seem to exist. Is 6.8.2 too early?
>
> It seems the answer is yes, 6.8.2 is too early.
>
> Now trying to create reimplement readProcess in terms of
> runInteractiveProcess.
>
> Erik

Why do this extra work instead of simply upgrading to 6.8.3?

--
Conrad Meyer <[hidden email]>

System.Process and ghc 6.8.2

Erik de Castro Lopo-29
Conrad Meyer wrote:

> Why do this extra work instead of simply upgrading to 6.8.3?

Mainly because 6.8.2 is installed on my Ubuntu system using a
pre-compiled package (including a bunch of pre-compiled libraries).
I much prefer to use the the native packaging system because most
of the time it works so much better than anything else.

Also, the "extra work" became a few minor tweaks to this code:

    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/newpopen/System/Process/Run.hs

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"Using Java as a general purpose application development language
is like going big game hunting armed with Nerf weapons."
-- Author Unknown

System.Process and ghc 6.8.2

Conrad Meyer
On Thursday 22 January 2009 02:28:41 pm Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Conrad Meyer wrote:
> > Why do this extra work instead of simply upgrading to 6.8.3?
>
> Mainly because 6.8.2 is installed on my Ubuntu system using a
> pre-compiled package (including a bunch of pre-compiled libraries).
> I much prefer to use the the native packaging system because most
> of the time it works so much better than anything else.
>
> Also, the "extra work" became a few minor tweaks to this code:
>
>     http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/newpopen/System/Process/Run.hs
>
> Cheers,
> Erik

So nag the Ubuntu ghc maintainer about being several versions behind. Or if
they're actually not several versions behind, you're just using an old
version of ubuntu, install a copy of ghc from a newer version of ubuntu.

--
Conrad Meyer <[hidden email]>

System.Process and ghc 6.8.2

Erik de Castro Lopo-29
Conrad Meyer wrote:

> So nag the Ubuntu ghc maintainer about being several versions behind. Or if
> they're actually not several versions behind, you're just using an old
> version of ubuntu, install a copy of ghc from a newer version of ubuntu.

I'm running the current latest release of Ubuntu and using the latest
ghc they offer.

The Ubuntu people just grab their version from Debian. I'm actually
tracking the Debian Haskell mailing list and just in the last week
there was an announcement of ghc-6.10.1 going into the experimental
repository. Then they need to compile all the libraries with the new
compiler.

I'm thinking of grabbing the debian source package from Debian
experimental and building it on Ubuntu.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"Always code as if the person who ends up maintaining your
code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
-- Martin Golding