Teaching FP with Haskell

Rustom Mody
We are offering a MOOC on haskell :
https://moocfellowship.org/submissions/the-dance-of-functional-programming-languaging-with-haskell-and-python

Full Announcement on beginners list :
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/beginners/2013-May/012013.html

One question that I have been grappling with in this regard:
How to run ghc in lightweight/beginner mode?

2 examples of what I mean:

1. gofer used to come with an alternative standard prelude -- 'simple.pre'
    Using this, gofer would show many of the type-class based errors as simple (non-type-class based) errors.
    This was very useful for us teachers to help noobs start off without intimidating them.
2. Racket comes with a couple of levels.  The easier numbers were not completely consistent with scheme semantics, but
    was gentle to beginners

Any thoughts/inputs on this will be welcomed

Rusi

Re: Teaching FP with Haskell

Andrew Butterfield-2
Rustom,
 you should look at Helium

Andrew.

On 21 May 2013, at 10:55, Rustom Mody wrote:

[...]

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero@TCD, Head of Foundations & Methods Research Group
Director of Teaching and Learning - Undergraduate,
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                          http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/

Re: Teaching FP with Haskell

Ben Doyle
Helium seems interesting, but the code is a little stale, no? The last updates seem to be from 2008-2009. I couldn't get it to build with ghc 7.6.3, not that I tried too terribly hard.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM, Andrew Butterfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: <a href="tel:%2B353-1-896-2517" value="+35318962517" target="_blank">+353-1-896-2517     Fax: <a href="tel:%2B353-1-677-2204" value="+35316772204" target="_blank">+353-1-677-2204