Testing containers outside of ghc source tree

Testing containers outside of ghc source tree

Gracjan Polak

Hi all,

Recent developments in containers made me to give it a spin, too.

I'd like to compile and test containers package. I got the sources, compiled.
So far so good. Then the testsuite inside source code seems to require GHC
testing framework. This seems a bit heavy.

Anyway I got recent GHC sources, placed containers under
libraries/containers-ex. Running 'make TEST_HC=ghc' in tests directory fails
with:

*** unexpected failure for sequence001(threaded1)
=====> sequence001(threaded2) 4 of 4 [0, 30, 0]
cd . && '/usr/bin/ghc' -fforce-recomp -dcore-lint -dcmm-lint -dno-debug-output
-no-user-package-conf -rtsopts -fno-ghci-history  -o sequence001 sequence001.hs
-O -threaded -eventlog -package containers  >sequence001.comp.stderr 2>&1
Compile failed (status 256) errors were:
ghc: unrecognised flags: -fno-ghci-history
Usage: For basic information, try the `--help' option.

What I aim for is to have a fast/short way of doing some experimental changes
and running only the containers testsuite with my own changes included. How do I
get to doing this?

--
Gracjan

Re: Testing containers outside of ghc source tree

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 23.09.2011, 12:15 +0000 schrieb Gracjan Polak:

> Anyway I got recent GHC sources, placed containers under
> libraries/containers-ex. Running 'make TEST_HC=ghc' in tests directory fails
> with:
>
> *** unexpected failure for sequence001(threaded1)
> =====> sequence001(threaded2) 4 of 4 [0, 30, 0]
> cd . && '/usr/bin/ghc' -fforce-recomp -dcore-lint -dcmm-lint -dno-debug-output
> -no-user-package-conf -rtsopts -fno-ghci-history  -o sequence001 sequence001.hs
> -O -threaded -eventlog -package containers  >sequence001.comp.stderr 2>&1
> Compile failed (status 256) errors were:
> ghc: unrecognised flags: -fno-ghci-history
> Usage: For basic information, try the `--help' option.
>
> What I aim for is to have a fast/short way of doing some experimental changes
> and running only the containers testsuite with my own changes included. How do I
> get to doing this?
I don’t think the Makefile works outside the ghc tree. Here is how I
compile the test programs individually:

ghc --make -DTESTING -i -idist/build -i. -idist/build/autogen -Idist/build/autogen -Idist/build -Iinclude -optP-include -optPdist/build/autogen/cabal_macros.h  -hidir dist/build -stubdir dist/build -O -fregs-graph -O2 -XHaskell98 -XDeriveDataTypeable -XStandaloneDeriving -XMagicHash -XRank2Types -XCPP  tests/map-properties.hs

I think I got this line from "cabal build -v".

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  [hidden email]  |  [hidden email]  |  GPG: 0x4743206C

Re: Testing containers outside of ghc source tree

Ian Lynagh
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 03:41:56PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> > ghc: unrecognised flags: -fno-ghci-history
> >
> > What I aim for is to have a fast/short way of doing some experimental changes
> > and running only the containers testsuite with my own changes included. How do I
> > get to doing this?
>
> I don’t think the Makefile works outside the ghc tree.

The testsuite works outside of a GHC tree, although for the tests that
are in libraries/*/tests you need to arrange things so that the driver
can be found.

However, the HEAD testsuite driver is designed to be used with the HEAD,
so may need tweaking to work with older compilers. In this case, the
-fno-ghci-history flag isn't supported by any released version yet.

Thanks
Ian

Ian Lynagh <igloo <at> earth.li> writes:

> However, the HEAD testsuite driver is designed to be used with the HEAD,
> so may need tweaking to work with older compilers. In this case, the
> -fno-ghci-history flag isn't supported by any released version yet.

Thanks for help. I managed to run tests properly.

Meanwhile I've found:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/containers-benchmark

Is there an idea how these two should relate?

--
Gracjan

Re: Testing containers outside of ghc source tree

Milan Straka
Hi,

> > However, the HEAD testsuite driver is designed to be used with the HEAD,
> > so may need tweaking to work with older compilers. In this case, the
> > -fno-ghci-history flag isn't supported by any released version yet.
>
> Thanks for help. I managed to run tests properly.
>
> Meanwhile I've found:
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/containers-benchmark
>
> Is there an idea how these two should relate?

Containers-benchmark is a package for benchmarking only, it contains
no tests. I use from time to time to measure impact of code changes.
So the package is orthogonal to the testsuite.

Cheers,
Milan

Re: Testing containers outside of ghc source tree

Simon Marlow-7
On 24/09/2011 14:41, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 03:41:56PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
>>
>>> ghc: unrecognised flags: -fno-ghci-history
>>>
>>> What I aim for is to have a fast/short way of doing some experimental changes
>>> and running only the containers testsuite with my own changes included. How do I
>>> get to doing this?
>>
>> I don’t think the Makefile works outside the ghc tree.
>
> The testsuite works outside of a GHC tree, although for the tests that
> are in libraries/*/tests you need to arrange things so that the driver
> can be found.
>
> However, the HEAD testsuite driver is designed to be used with the HEAD,
> so may need tweaking to work with older compilers. In this case, the
> -fno-ghci-history flag isn't supported by any released version yet.

I fixed that in the testsuite a few days ago, so the latest testsuite
should work with older GHCs again.  It's often useful to be able to say

   make TEST_HC=ghc-7.0.4 TEST=...

to make sure that your new regression test case does indeed fail as it
should with the older compiler.