Text.Html

Jun Mukai
hello, haskellers

Text.Html seems to generate HTML 3.2. It is too obsolete to use, isn't it?
Are there any plans to support HTML 4.x or xhtml?

It is true that WASH-HTML (and other libraries?) can generate xhtml.
But the situation that the standard library supports legacy version of
HTML only is bad.

IMHO, the Text.Html should be rewrite to generate HTML 4.x, or the new
library named Text.Xhtml should be introduced.

RE: Text.Html

Simon Marlow
On 28 November 2005 01:46, Jun Mukai wrote:

> Text.Html seems to generate HTML 3.2. It is too obsolete to use,
> isn't it? Are there any plans to support HTML 4.x or xhtml?
>
> It is true that WASH-HTML (and other libraries?) can generate xhtml.
> But the situation that the standard library supports legacy version of
> HTML only is bad.
>
> IMHO, the Text.Html should be rewrite to generate HTML 4.x, or the new
> library named Text.Xhtml should be introduced.

Yes, Text.Html needs a lot of work.  There's a slightly improved version
in Haddock.  I think I asked a while back if anyone was interested in
updating it, and didn't get any responses.

We should consider whether Text.Html should be

 (a) just an improved version of what we have now
 (b) WASH's HTML library (or a derivative thereof)
 (c) an instance of a more general XML library
 (d) something else?

I only have experience with (a), and I find it mildly inconvenient: the
overloading doesn't really seem to buy much, but the table support is
quite useful.  (b) has a fully typed HTML implementation which prevents
ill-formed documents, but the downside is that types are large, and type
errors can be incomprehensible.

Xhtml Re: Text.Html

Shae Matijs Erisson
Jun Mukai <[hidden email]> writes:

> IMHO, the Text.Html should be rewrite to generate HTML 4.x, or the new
> library named Text.Xhtml should be introduced.

Björn Bringert modified Text.Html to produce xhtml:
http://www.bringert.net/darcs/haskell-xhtml
I haven't tried it myself, but it might do what you want.
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.ScannedInAvian.com/ - Sockmonster once said:
You could switch out the unicycles for badgers, and the game would be the same.

Re: Xhtml Re: Text.Html

Jun Mukai
At 28 Nov 2005 13:06:25 +0100,
Shae Matijs Erisson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Björn Bringert modified Text.Html to produce xhtml:
> http://www.bringert.net/darcs/haskell-xhtml
> I haven't tried it myself, but it might do what you want.

Thanks. I haven't tried it also, but it seems to be good.

But, I did not so strongly want excellent HTML/XML libraries. I want
that the standard libararies become not obsolete.

Are there any plans to introduce this Bringert's Text.Xhtml into base
library?  At least, Bringert's Text.Xhtml is more excellent than
Text.Html and not obsolete. This is important.

Best regards,
   Jun Mukai

Re: Xhtml Re: Text.Html

Tomasz Zielonka
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 02:10:41AM +0900, Jun Mukai wrote:
> But, I did not so strongly want excellent HTML/XML libraries. I want
> that the standard libararies become not obsolete.

Text.Html is not a standard library.

Best regards
Tomasz