The 'encoding' package maintainer?

Boris Kropivnitsky
Hello,

I am looking for the maintainer of the 'encoding' library.  I tried to
use it for my little project, but it turned out that it has some
issues and needs some love.  So I've made a few fixes and it now works
reasonably well.  I thought the community will benefit if the new
version is made available.  I've tried to contact the author listed in
the .cabal file  but had no luck.  So I thought I'd ask for help here.

Cheers,
Boris Kropivnitsky

Re: The 'encoding' package maintainer?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 5 June 2012 14:48, Boris Kropivnitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for the maintainer of the 'encoding' library.  I tried to
> use it for my little project, but it turned out that it has some
> issues and needs some love.  So I've made a few fixes and it now works
> reasonably well.  I thought the community will benefit if the new
> version is made available.  I've tried to contact the author listed in
> the .cabal file  but had no luck.  So I thought I'd ask for help here.

I believe most people that want to deal with encodings use the text
package nowadays, possibly with the text-icu package for even more
encodings.

> Cheers,
> Boris Kropivnitsky

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Re: The 'encoding' package maintainer?

Boris Kropivnitsky
On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 June 2012 14:48, Boris Kropivnitsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking for the maintainer of the 'encoding' library.  I tried to
>> use it for my little project, but it turned out that it has some
>> issues and needs some love.  So I've made a few fixes and it now works
>> reasonably well.  I thought the community will benefit if the new
>> version is made available.  I've tried to contact the author listed in
>> the .cabal file  but had no luck.  So I thought I'd ask for help here.
>
> I believe most people that want to deal with encodings use the text
> package nowadays, possibly with the text-icu package for even more
> encodings.

Yeah, text-icu is fantastic in terms of features.  One major downside
though is that it requires external library which is not easy to build
on some platforms (Windows).  Encoding, on the other hand, is a pure
Haskell library, and therefore is more approachable, especially for
new users.  That said, if text-icu was made more seamless to install,
it would ideal.