Time for a new logo?

Re: Time for a new logo?

Thomas Davie

On 15 Dec 2008, at 12:43, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, Don Stewart wrote:
>
>> I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
>>
>>   http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
>>
>> Simple, clean and *pure*.
>>
>> Instead of the "we got lots going on" of the current logo.
>
> Call me conservative, but I like the current logo more than the new
> suggestions. Why isn't it shown big on the welcome page of
> haskell.org?
Are you referring to this logo?

In which case, it is shown on Haskell.org, unless there's another logo
that I don't know about?

Personally, this logo I find cluttered, and complicated, which I
suspect conveys something to people thinking about using Haskell.

Bob

Haskell.png (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for a new logo?

Martin DeMello
Something incorporating λ∀ perhaps

martin

Re: Time for a new logo?

Jeff Heard
My entry...

2008/12/15 Martin DeMello <[hidden email]>:
> Something incorporating λ∀ perhaps
>
> martin

Haskell.pdf (194K) Download Attachment
Haskell.png (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for a new logo?

Gianfranco Alongi
Looks, good, actually among the top of the ones I like,
should we not have some kind of voting mechanism for selecting a logo?
And also some kind of last date for when entries are accepted..

Of course this requires a call for logos and so forth.

2008/12/15 Jeff Heard <[hidden email]>:

> My entry...
>
> 2008/12/15 Martin DeMello <[hidden email]>:
>> Something incorporating λ∀ perhaps
>>
>> martin

Patience is the last resort for those unable to take action

Re: Time for a new logo?

Thomas Schilling-2
So far this one is still the best, although the kerning between the s
and the k seems off, so that would need fixing first.

In terms of slogan "purely functional", "lazy with class", or "lazy.
pure. functional." look ok.  The rest, not so much.

2008/12/14 Don Stewart <[hidden email]>:

> I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
>
>    http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
>
> Simple, clean and *pure*.
>
> Instead of the "we got lots going on" of the current logo.
>
> Any graphic designers want to try some variations on this theme of
> purity?
>
> A new year, and a new mature logo...
>
> -- Don

Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.

Re: Time for a new logo?

Don Stewart-2
And anyone who does a version, place put it on the wiki.
It'll be lost if you only post to the list.

I propose we gather submissions and vote on the best for a new logo in
2009.

-- Don

nominolo:

> So far this one is still the best, although the kerning between the s
> and the k seems off, so that would need fixing first.
>
> In terms of slogan "purely functional", "lazy with class", or "lazy.
> pure. functional." look ok.  The rest, not so much.
>
> 2008/12/14 Don Stewart <[hidden email]>:
> > I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
> >
> >    http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
> >
> > Simple, clean and *pure*.
> >
> > Instead of the "we got lots going on" of the current logo.
> >
> > Any graphic designers want to try some variations on this theme of
> > purity?
> >
> > A new year, and a new mature logo...
> >
> > -- Don

> Push the envelope.  Watch it bend.

Re: Time for a new logo? -> Haskell logo as a stamp!

Henning Thielemann

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Don Stewart wrote:

> And anyone who does a version, place put it on the wiki.
> It'll be lost if you only post to the list.
>
> I propose we gather submissions and vote on the best for a new logo in
> 2009.

Whatever logo someone prefers: I have written a program using HPDF which
creates stamps for the German post (see http://www.internetmarke.de/) with
custom images:
   http://code.haskell.org/~thielema/internetmarke/
  It needs a bit generalization, though, and will then be uploaded to
Hackage, of course. So a dedicated Haskell stamp is close to German
Haskell users!

Re: Time for a new logo?

Brettschneider, Matthias
If there is someone interested in playing around with the logo Don posted,
I made a gimp-version out of it.

http://frosch03.de/haskell/Haskell.xcf
http://frosch03.de/haskell/Haskell.png

-- Matthias

Re: Time for a new logo?

Don Stewart-2
Could you  upload it to the logo contest page:

    http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_logos/New_logo_ideas

jefferson.r.heard:

> My entry...
>
> 2008/12/15 Martin DeMello <[hidden email]>:
> > Something incorporating λ∀ perhaps
> >
> > martin

Re: Time for a new logo?

Andrew Coppin
Don Stewart wrote:

> I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
>
>     http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
>
> Simple, clean and *pure*.
>
> Instead of the "we got lots going on" of the current logo.
>
> Any graphic designers want to try some variations on this theme of
> purity?
>
> A new year, and a new mature logo...

Well overdue, IMHO.

I showed the current logo to Mr C++ (who, obviously, is slightly
biased). To him, apparently, the current logo says "Haskell is all about
arcane and obscure mathematical constructs. In fact, we think that
complicated mathematics is so good that we stuffed our logo full of it.
If you don't like hard math, don't even bother trying to learn this
language."

Obviously, that's a rather negative image to be projecting. And
obviously, his opinion is biased. To me, the logo just looks a) rather
cluttered, and b) home-made. It doesn't have that professional "glitter"
to it. (I have no idea how to fix that though - maybe ask a professional??)

I see lots of people posting various logos, but they all seem to consist
essentially of a lambda and the word "Haskell". I guess it depends on
what you want from a logo. Is our "logo" going to be just a lambda
symbol in a specific typeface with specific colours? Or do we want
something more particular? (Looking at what other languages have... well
"Ruby" has a gemstone. Duh. And "Python" has two snakes nicely stylised.
Oh well!) But yeah, certainly I think having a neat T-shirt to wear
would be fun! (Note that the lambda was the symbol for the LGBT folks
though!)

(Actually, just noticing... Ruby's front page says "Hello World is
trivial - here it is!" We can do that too, eh?)

RE: Time for a new logo?

Michael Giagnocavo
Don Stewart wrote:
> I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
>
>     http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
>
> Simple, clean and *pure*.

While "lambda in a circle" is quite powerful, it's also quite similar to the logo for the rather popular game "Half-Life" (especially if orange is used). I'm not sure if this is relevant.
http://images.google.com/images?q=half+life+logo

-Michael

Re: Time for a new logo?

Don Stewart-2
mgg:

> Don Stewart wrote:
> > I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
> >
> >     http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
> >
> > Simple, clean and *pure*.
> >

> While "lambda in a circle" is quite powerful, it's also quite similar to the logo for the rather popular game "Half-Life" (especially if orange is used). I'm not sure if this is relevant.
> http://images.google.com/images?q=half+life+logo

Haskell and Scheme have been using lambda in a circle for 20+ years, also...

-- Don

Re: Time for a new logo?

sclv
Alvaro's infinity lambda is awesome! The fancy treatments -- shadows, reflections, and the funny haskell font can all go, but the infinity lambda is distinctive, conceptually clear, and conveys the notion that we're not just the lambda calculus, but the lambda calculus to the power of our type system. Speaking of which, maybe the lambda cube could be the basis for a logo?

--S

Re: Time for a new logo?

Derek Elkins
On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 18:25 -0500, Sterling Clover wrote:
> Alvaro's infinity lambda is awesome! The fancy treatments -- shadows,
> reflections, and the funny haskell font can all go, but the infinity
> lambda is distinctive, conceptually clear, and conveys the notion that
> we're not just the lambda calculus, but the lambda calculus to the
> power of our type system. Speaking of which, maybe the lambda cube
> could be the basis for a logo?

Haskell sits in the middle of one of the faces of the lambda cube,
possibly even a bit in the volume, though I don't think so.

Re: Time for a new logo?

Isaac Dupree
okay, I want a t-shirt like this (but with all the greek
letters and formatting)

back:
\t. 2^-t kg
is equally[or: sometimes] bothered by math

front:
\gbtq
is [sometimes] bothered by acronyms

:-)

or, sometimes likes each of them :-)

-Isaac

Re: Time for a new logo?

jagrhask
What do you think about this logo?
I'm not a good painter but just to illustrate idea:
lazy lambda taking rest laying under tree and some blinks symbolize how
is it.
I hope somebody could draw it better.

Don Stewart пишет:

> I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
>
>     http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
>
> Simple, clean and *pure*.
>
> Instead of the "we got lots going on" of the current logo.
>
> Any graphic designers want to try some variations on this theme of
> purity?
>
> A new year, and a new mature logo...
>
> -- Don

lambda1.jpg (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for a new logo?

jagrhask
jagrhask пишет:
> What do you think about this logo?
> I'm not a good painter but just to illustrate idea:
> lazy lambda taking rest laying under tree and some blinks symbolize
> how is it.
Of course "symbolize how clean is it".

> I hope somebody could draw it better.
>
> Don Stewart пишет:
>> I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
>>
>> http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
>>

>> Simple, clean and *pure*.
>>
>> Instead of the "we got lots going on" of the current logo.
>>
>> Any graphic designers want to try some variations on this theme of
>> purity?
>> A new year, and a new mature logo...
>>
>> -- Don

Re: Time for a new logo?

MigMit
Sorry to disappoint you, but the "tree" is not the very first thing
that comes to mind when you look at this drawing. And, despite that it
satisfies Don's condition to be "mature" (though "adult" would be a
better word), this kind of pornography is NOT, I believe, what most of
us want for a Haskell logo.

On 16 Dec 2008, at 10:52, jagrhask wrote:

> What do you think about this logo?
> I'm not a good painter but just to illustrate idea:
> lazy lambda taking rest laying under tree and some blinks symbolize
> how is it.
> I hope somebody could draw it better.
>
> Don Stewart пишет:
>> I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
>>    http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
>>
>> Simple, clean and *pure*.
>>
>> Instead of the "we got lots going on" of the current logo.
>>
>> Any graphic designers want to try some variations on this theme of
>> purity?
>> A new year, and a new mature logo...
>>
>> -- Don

Re: Time for a new logo?

jagrhask
Miguel Mitrofanov пишет:
> Sorry to disappoint you, but the "tree" is not the very first thing
> that comes to mind when you look at this drawing. And, despite that it
> satisfies
As I already said, I'm not good in drawing, so if somthing bad comes to
your mind looking at this tree - just draw it so that it would look like
real tree. I'm not a designer I've just wanted to illustrate my idea for
sombody who could draw it properly.
> Don's condition to be "mature" (though "adult" would be a better
> word), this kind of pornography is NOT, I believe, what most of us
> want for a Haskell logo.
 If somebody want to find pornography, he'll find it even in blank list.
BTW. I would like to know what you found in this sketch  (please let me
know in private message, to not be sued for prnography distribution :) ).

> On 16 Dec 2008, at 10:52, jagrhask wrote:
>
>> What do you think about this logo?
>> I'm not a good painter but just to illustrate idea:
>> lazy lambda taking rest laying under tree and some blinks symbolize
>> how is it.
>> I hope somebody could draw it better.
>>
>> Don Stewart пишет:
>>> I noticed a new haskell logo idea on a tshirt today,
>>>
>>> http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/configuration/13215127/producttypecolor/2/type/png
>>>

>>> Simple, clean and *pure*.
>>>
>>> Instead of the "we got lots going on" of the current logo.
>>>
>>> Any graphic designers want to try some variations on this theme of
>>> purity?
>>> A new year, and a new mature logo...
>>>
>>> -- Don

Re: Time for a new logo?

Gianfranco Alongi
Obviously there are a lot of different wills in this discussion, and I
propose we take this to the next level by letting people submit all
their ideas to the Haskell wiki page, and vote later on.

/Gf