To merge package documentation with the platform doc tree

To merge package documentation with the platform doc tree

John Beattie
Hi,

Suppose I download a package and install it. I would like to be able to have
the html documentation for that package and I would like it to be integrated
with the local doc tree in the haskell platform.

Is this a recognised usecase and is there a recommended way to do that?

My first thought was to use haddock but I haven't managed to work out if there
is a combination of haddock options which would get me there.

As an alternative, I was wondering about cloning the GHC platform source and
pasting the new library into the source tree alongside the other libraries and
building the documentation.  I might have to tweak a makefile or somesuch but
would that work?

Thanks,
John Beattie

Re: To merge package documentation with the platform doc tree

Francesco Ariis
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:06:27PM +0100, John Beattie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Suppose I download a package and install it. I would like to be able to have
> the html documentation for that package and I would like it to be integrated
> with the local doc tree in the haskell platform.
>
> Is this a recognised usecase and is there a recommended way to do that?
>
> My first thought was to use haddock but I haven't managed to work out if there
> is a combination of haddock options which would get me there.
>
> As an alternative, I was wondering about cloning the GHC platform source and
> pasting the new library into the source tree alongside the other libraries and
> building the documentation.  I might have to tweak a makefile or somesuch but
> would that work?
>
> Thanks,
> John Beattie

Hello John,

ah, my time to spam!

    http://ariis.it/static/articles/no-docs-hackage/page.html

I bootstrap cabal (HP minimal?) and it works as written. I did not test
it with HP full but I don't think it should have problems with that.

Let me know if it does the trick
-F

Re: To merge package documentation with the platform doc tree

Jake
Another way of doing this is by using Nix package manager. This section of the manual explains how to create a shell environment with a set of specified packages installed that includes a unified haddock documentation directory.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:32 PM Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:06:27PM +0100, John Beattie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose I download a package and install it. I would like to be able to have
> the html documentation for that package and I would like it to be integrated
> with the local doc tree in the haskell platform.
>
> Is this a recognised usecase and is there a recommended way to do that?
>
> My first thought was to use haddock but I haven't managed to work out if there
> is a combination of haddock options which would get me there.
>
> As an alternative, I was wondering about cloning the GHC platform source and
> pasting the new library into the source tree alongside the other libraries and
> building the documentation.  I might have to tweak a makefile or somesuch but
> would that work?
>
> Thanks,
> John Beattie

Hello John,

ah, my time to spam!

    http://ariis.it/static/articles/no-docs-hackage/page.html

I bootstrap cabal (HP minimal?) and it works as written. I did not test
it with HP full but I don't think it should have problems with that.

Let me know if it does the trick
-F

Re: To merge package documentation with the platform doc tree

John Beattie
Thanks for all this.  I tried the cabal method of F. (ariis.it) and that works fine.

Thanks again,
John