Top N things to encourage commercial Haskell?

Top N things to encourage commercial Haskell?

Tom Ellis-3
Dear commercial Haskell fans,

Is there some strategy document detailing the "N most important things to
encourage commercial Haskell adoption"?

The best that I can recall is the FP Complete developers survey

    https://www.fpcomplete.com/blog/2015/05/thousand-user-haskell-survey

and the summaries that Aaron Contorer posted to Reddit:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/37d5xh/286_microsoft_users_windows_and_net_express_their/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/37iwlj/154_professionals_comment_on_desired_improvements/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/377zyc/72_wouldbe_commercial_haskell_users_what_haskell/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/37cr8k/54_haskell_developers_describe_the_templates/

Ideally I'd like to determine what are the three most important areas where
contributions would most increase commercial adoption.  Does anyone have any
clues where I should start?

Tom

Re: Top N things to encourage commercial Haskell?

Alexandr Kurilin
Things that are still uncomfortable in my experience that should scare people considering Haskell for their business:

* relability of hackage / stackage infrastructure. Could they fall off the face of the Earth one day and your business is now hosed?
* is there enough momentum in the community to keep the ecosystem going if something happens to the big contributors? How high is the bus factor for the ecosystem?
* finding qualified people is non-trivial. It's doable to find good software engineers with crappy Haskell skills or bad software engineers with great Haskell skills, finding both is a challenge.
* building large Haskell projects still takes forever / a lot of memory, breaks a lot of CI out there requiring manual set up of Jenkins and friends, not a lot of documentation and success stories out there to use for reference. GHC seems to get slower with every iteration.
* small community, not clear if the support will be there if something goes south in your project. With Java and friends you have years of accumulated documentation on how to troubleshoot anything on the internet, an infinity of experts who can look into your issues. With Haskell, not so much.

Will see if I can think of more of these.

Alexandr Kurilin | CTO

Check out our featured stories in CNNWSJ, and Forbes

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 10:39 am, <[hidden email]> Tom Ellis wrote:

[...]

Carter Schonwald
Build great stuff and be profitable and effective in your product space.  Nothing else matters.

In any business delivering and being able to manage expectations and iterate/evolve your product or service talk.  Everything else just walks.

So if Haskell is a tool that helps yah, to quote the Nike motto: just do it

then laugh all the way to the bank (I like a good laugh on my morning commute :) )

I'm being slightly tongue in cheek, but at the end of day, business results are what matter.  Use the tools that help / make sense while making you effective and happy about your work and the end result

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 10:39 am, <<a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;tom-lists-commercialhaskell-2015@jaguarpaw.co.uk&#39;);" target="_blank">tom-lists-commercialhaskell-2015@...> Tom Ellis wrote: