Travis again over time

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Travis again over time

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

I just noticed that travis again fails to build master, and did so for
four days.

The build logs only get sent to the committer, so if the first person
breaking the build does not react, then all following commiters (who
likely did obviously benign changes) will likely ignore any failures,
(even if they break some of the test cases) and we have a broken-window
effect. I wonder if we should configure travis to send build error
messags to, for example, ghc-commits?


Anyways, build time has increased and reached the (recently raised)
time limit of 70 minutes. I fail to identify an obviously offending
commit. Last working commit (which, by sheer luck, passed the time
limit) was
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/fc6c222b90e68fed74a6bee6f087f47bf31f21c6

It looks that much of the time increase is due to enabling split
sections by default:
https://travis-ci.org/ghc/ghc/builds/198293519
I’ll see if that helps.

Greetings,
Joachim


--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: [hidden email] • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Travis again over time

Richard Eisenberg-4

> On Mar 4, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I wonder if we should configure travis to send build error
> messags to, for example, ghc-commits?

+1 to public shaming. Where we understand that there is no shame is making mistakes.

Richard
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Travis again over time

Joachim Breitner-2
In reply to this post by Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

Am Samstag, den 04.03.2017, 20:56 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> It looks that much of the time increase is due to enabling split
> sections by default:
> https://travis-ci.org/ghc/ghc/builds/198293519
> I’ll see if that helps.

nope, even with
echo 'SplitSections      = NO'        >> mk/validate.mk
we run over the time limit.

Not sure what best to do next.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: [hidden email] • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Travis again over time

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

ok, one of these patches brought the build time on Travis down to very
nice 1h again:
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/compare/749740f9c3cb...8ca4bb1ce9d9

The build would be marked as passing if it were not for
integerConstantFolding which is marked as

test('integerConstantFolding',
     [when(compiler_debugged(), expect_broken(11006))], run_command,
     ['$MAKE -s --no-print-directory integerConstantFolding'])

but when Travis runs the build without -DDEBUG, then it still reports
an unexepcted pass, so the compiler_debugged doesn’t quite work as
expected:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/archive.travis-ci.org/jobs/208399920/log.txt

I am not sure why this does not work as expected on travis. If someone
knowledgeable of the test suite driver would like to have a look,
that’d be awesome.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: [hidden email] • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Travis again over time

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 07.03.2017, 14:39 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> The build would be marked as passing if it were not for
> integerConstantFolding which is marked as …

fixed this issue. Travis should pass now again. Let’s keep it this way!

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: [hidden email] • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Travis again over time

Alan & Kim Zimmerman
FYI, liquidhaskell switched from travis to circleci.com because of timeout problems.

It seems the time available is larger there.

And you get access to the build artifacts afterward, as per your configuration.

Alan

On 9 March 2017 at 19:17, Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 07.03.2017, 14:39 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> The build would be marked as passing if it were not for
> integerConstantFolding which is marked as …

fixed this issue. Travis should pass now again. Let’s keep it this way!

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]https://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  XMPP: [hidden email] • OpenPGP-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs



_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Travis again over time

Eric Seidel-3
On Sat, Mar 18, 2017, at 05:36, Alan & Kim Zimmerman wrote:
> FYI, liquidhaskell switched from travis to circleci.com because of
> timeout
> problems.
>
> It seems the time available is larger there.

IIRC CircleCI doesn't have an overall build timeout at all, just
(configurable) per-command timeouts.
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs