Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Arnaud Bailly-2
Hello,
I am trying to install timeplot and splot on a windows 7 host, using Haskell platform 2012.2.0.0, and I have troubles installing HSChart.

First difficulties were installing cairo, which requires Gtk+ libraries and headers. I installed those using a Gtk+-bundle, first in c:\Program Files\. I had to move to d:\soft (eg. a directory without spaces) to be able to install cairo.

Then I tried to install Chart and at first failed with a cryptic 'Exit Failure 1' error from cabal. I succeeded when I redirected cabal output to a file, eg: cabal install > out 2<&1 whereas a plain 'cabal install' failed.

Then I managed to install splot and timeplot. I then tried to use Chart to draw a simple chart, following http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Chart/0.16/doc/html/Graphics-Rendering-Chart-Simple.html and it hang forever with a CPU at 100%.

Suggestions are more than welcomed.

Regards,
Arnaud

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Brent Yorgey-2
On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 09:22:15PM +0100, Arnaud Bailly wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to install timeplot and splot on a windows 7 host, using
> Haskell platform 2012.2.0.0, and I have troubles installing HSChart.
>
> First difficulties were installing cairo, which requires Gtk+ libraries and
> headers. I installed those using a Gtk+-bundle, first in c:\Program Files\.
> I had to move to d:\soft (eg. a directory without spaces) to be able to
> install cairo.
>
> Then I tried to install Chart and at first failed with a cryptic 'Exit
> Failure 1' error from cabal. I succeeded when I redirected cabal output to
> a file, eg: cabal install > out 2<&1 whereas a plain 'cabal install' failed.
>
> Then I managed to install splot and timeplot. I then tried to use Chart to
> draw a simple chart, following
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Chart/0.16/doc/html/Graphics-Rendering-Chart-Simple.htmland
> it hang forever with a CPU at 100%.

No idea if it's related, but hanging forever with the CPU at 100%
reminds me of this:

  http://code.google.com/p/diagrams/issues/detail?id=71

Unfortunately, GTK + cairo are notoriously difficult to install on
OSX and Windows.

-Brent

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Tim Docker-4
In reply to this post by Arnaud Bailly-2
On 04/03/13 07:22, Arnaud Bailly wrote:
> Then I managed to install splot and timeplot. I then tried to use
> Chart to draw a simple chart, following
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Chart/0.16/doc/html/Graphics-Rendering-Chart-Simple.html 
> and it hang forever with a CPU at 100%.

As the author of the Chart library, I'm sorry to say "I don't know".
Chart is developed under linux, and I do occasional testing under osx,
but I don't use windows at all. Chart is a pure haskell library sitting
over cairo, so it is most likely a cairo problem rather than a chart
one, but I realise this doesn't help you.

Do the examples that come with the haskell binding to cairo work for you?

Windows and gtk continues to be problematic for many users. I'd love to
see an alternative backend for the chart library, but I would need a
graphics API that installs easily under windows, osx and linux, and
provides good access to fonts and font metrics. Any suggestions?


Tim

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Brent Yorgey-2
On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:26:23AM +1100, Tim Docker wrote:

> On 04/03/13 07:22, Arnaud Bailly wrote:
> >Then I managed to install splot and timeplot. I then tried to use
> >Chart to draw a simple chart, following http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Chart/0.16/doc/html/Graphics-Rendering-Chart-Simple.html
> >and it hang forever with a CPU at 100%.
>
> As the author of the Chart library, I'm sorry to say "I don't know".
> Chart is developed under linux, and I do occasional testing under
> osx, but I don't use windows at all. Chart is a pure haskell library
> sitting over cairo, so it is most likely a cairo problem rather than
> a chart one, but I realise this doesn't help you.
>
> Do the examples that come with the haskell binding to cairo work for you?
>
> Windows and gtk continues to be problematic for many users. I'd love
> to see an alternative backend for the chart library, but I would need
> a graphics API that installs easily under windows, osx and linux, and
> provides good access to fonts and font metrics. Any suggestions?

Good access to fonts and font metrics is the kicker.  Otherwise I'd
say to switch to using diagrams as a backend, hence getting a whole
bunch of actual backends for free.  I would love to see development of
some good Haskell font packages -- maybe it would even make a good
GSoC project?  Unfortunately I don't know enough about it to even know
what would be involved, or how much work it would be.

-Brent

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

briand-3
On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 19:58:37 -0500
Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Good access to fonts and font metrics is the kicker.  Otherwise I'd
> say to switch to using diagrams as a backend, hence getting a whole
> bunch of actual backends for free.  I would love to see development of
> some good Haskell font packages -- maybe it would even make a good
> GSoC project?  Unfortunately I don't know enough about it to even know
> what would be involved, or how much work it would be.
>

I assume that to use diagram the font package would have to be a vector font system, or could bit-mapped fonts be used ?


_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Arnaud Bailly-2
In reply to this post by Brent Yorgey-2
Thanks for the pointer. While googling and stackoverflowing I came across this as a potential issue but did not check.
It appears my ghc is 32 bits and I suspect the gtk+ lib are 64 bits.

I will check this and report on what I find.


Regards,
Arnaud

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Brent Yorgey-2
In reply to this post by briand-3
On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 05:38:02PM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 19:58:37 -0500
> Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >
> > Good access to fonts and font metrics is the kicker.  Otherwise I'd
> > say to switch to using diagrams as a backend, hence getting a whole
> > bunch of actual backends for free.  I would love to see development of
> > some good Haskell font packages -- maybe it would even make a good
> > GSoC project?  Unfortunately I don't know enough about it to even know
> > what would be involved, or how much work it would be.
> >
>
> I assume that to use diagram the font package would have to be a vector font system, or could bit-mapped fonts be used ?

A vector font system would be ideal, as then you could go crazy
turning glyphs into paths and doing whatever the heck you want with
them using the diagrams framework.  However, bit-mapped fonts could be
used too (as long as there is a backend to support them), it would
just be less useful.

-Brent

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trouble installing and using Chart/cairo on windows 7

Brent Yorgey-2
On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 02:30:55PM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 17:27:29 -0500
> Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 03, 2013 at 05:38:02PM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 19:58:37 -0500
> > > Brent Yorgey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > > Good access to fonts and font metrics is the kicker.  Otherwise I'd
> > > > say to switch to using diagrams as a backend, hence getting a whole
> > > > bunch of actual backends for free.  I would love to see development of
> > > > some good Haskell font packages -- maybe it would even make a good
> > > > GSoC project?  Unfortunately I don't know enough about it to even know
> > > > what would be involved, or how much work it would be.
> > > >
> > >
> > > I assume that to use diagram the font package would have to be a vector font system, or could bit-mapped fonts be used ?
> >
> > A vector font system would be ideal, as then you could go crazy
> > turning glyphs into paths and doing whatever the heck you want with
> > them using the diagrams framework.  However, bit-mapped fonts could be
> > used too (as long as there is a backend to support them), it would
> > just be less useful.
> >
>
> yes - seems to me that vector fonts are definitely the way to go.
>
> it seems like this problem has to already have a solution.  maybe all that's needed is a font importer which understands some, already established, vector font  representation.
>

Well, there is the SVGFonts package:

  http://hackage.haskell.org/package/SVGFonts

I don't have a good sense of how widely supported this representation
is, or how easy it is to convert between it and other font
representations.

-Brent

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe