Trouble with Cabal

Chad Scherrer-2
Thanks to all who responded about the benefits of using Cabal. After
trying out Bulat's Streams library, I thought I would download
ByteString (aka FPS) to compare the wc demos. To compile something using
Streams, I need to use a -i flag (thanks Bulat). When I followed the
README that comes with ByteString, I get this:

%  ./Setup.hs install
Installing: /f/g/lib/fps-0.7 & /f/g/bin fps-0.7...
*** Exception: /f: createDirectory: permission denied (Permission
denied)

I don't have root on this machine, and it's not obvious (to me) how to
specify that everything should be installed locally. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chad Scherrer
Computational Mathematics Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." -- Groucho Marx

Re: Trouble with Cabal

Henning Thielemann

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Scherrer, Chad wrote:

> %  ./Setup.hs install
> Installing: /f/g/lib/fps-0.7 & /f/g/bin fps-0.7...
> *** Exception: /f: createDirectory: permission denied (Permission
> denied)
>
> I don't have root on this machine, and it's not obvious (to me) how to
> specify that everything should be installed locally. Any suggestions?

Install locally after configuring this way:
  ./Setup.lhs configure --user --prefix=$HOME/yourlocalhaskelllibsdir

Re: Trouble with Cabal

Lemmih
On 5/22/06, Henning Thielemann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 2006, Scherrer, Chad wrote:
>
> > %  ./Setup.hs install
> > Installing: /f/g/lib/fps-0.7 & /f/g/bin fps-0.7...
> > *** Exception: /f: createDirectory: permission denied (Permission
> > denied)
> >
> > I don't have root on this machine, and it's not obvious (to me) how to
> > specify that everything should be installed locally. Any suggestions?
>
> Install locally after configuring this way:
>   ./Setup.lhs configure --user --prefix=$HOME/yourlocalhaskelllibsdir

The --user flag to 'configure' isn't necessary.

--
Friendly,
  Lemmih

RE: Trouble with Cabal

Chad Scherrer-2

That seemed to do fine until it came to registering the package, which I
don't permission for. Any way around this?

On 5/22/06, Scherrer, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Run:
  ./Setup.lhs install --user

--
Friendly,