TryHaskell in the classroom!

Fritz Ruehr
I just wanted to send out a more public "Thanks!" to Chris Done for
the tryhaskell.org website and to everyone else
(including Chris) who was on the #haskell channel of IRC this
afternoon when I "tried haskell", along with the chat feature,
during my introductory functional programming class.

And I want to recommend the use of tryhaskell and its tutorial to
anyone else teaching Haskell in the classroom:
it makes for an an especially friendly and approachable introduction
to the language for students like mine,
some of whom are seeing programming for the first time. I'll be using
Hugs and GHC(i) for the day-to-day work
through the semester, but I imagine my students will be showing their
friends tryhaskell and poking around in it
at odd moments from the local cafe.

I had just begun my second lecture with a little introduction to the
Haskell community and how friendly it was, etc.,
when I realized the opportunity that the chat feature represented.
Sure enough, #haskellers came through for me
with some fun & friendly interaction as the class and I bounced back
and forth between the tutorial and their comments.

It was very gratifying to have my abstract proposition about the
character of the community backed up by a concrete
existential witness, live in the classroom :) .

Thanks again to Chris, Gwern Branwen, _why (of TryRuby) and everyone
else for their efforts and interactions.

   --  Fritz Ruehr

Re: TryHaskell in the classroom!

Benjamin L. Russell
Glad to hear about your positive experience with Try Haskell (see
http://tryhaskell.org/)!

I have also enjoyed using Try Haskell.  It would be wonderful if it
could be expanded with more content.  Many thanks to the developers for
their efforts!

-- Benjamin L. Russell

--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/

Re: Re: TryHaskell in the classroom!

Alec Benzer
Out of curiosity, where do you teach (directed at Fritz) and who are your students? (ie, undergrad, grad, ...)

--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
Translator/Interpreter / Mobile:  +011 81 80-3603-6725
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^

Re: TryHaskell in the classroom!

Christopher Done
On 4 September 2010 02:02, Fritz Ruehr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just wanted to send out a more public "Thanks!" to Chris Done for the
> tryhaskell.org website and to everyone else
> (including Chris) who was on the #haskell channel of IRC this afternoon when
> I "tried haskell", along with the chat feature,
> during my introductory functional programming class.

Glad to hear it! This is an ideal scenario for Try Haskell! Thanks for using it!

On 4 September 2010 02:11, Benjamin L. Russell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have also enjoyed using Try Haskell.  It would be wonderful if it
> could be expanded with more content.  Many thanks to the developers for
> their efforts!

Community contributed lessons are welcome! I'll be adding some hpaste
integration too. A markdown format like the below should be
sufficient:

Title: Example
Message:

    Here is a message about integers! Here are some numbers:

        23^75
        23/52

    Enter a number like `23`.

Title: Well done
Type-Trigger: Num t => t
Value-Trigger: 23
Message:

    Great, you typed %value% and it has type %type%.

    Etc.

And so on. Until I write a tutorial composer.