Typeclassopedia for numbers

Dominik Schrempf
Hello,

the Typeclassopedia[1] lists standard Haskell (algebraic ?) type classes and
their relations. I was wondering if a similar construct also exists for numeric
type classes (and probably also their instances), since I am always struggling
with how, e.g., 'Integral' number are related to 'Fractional' and so on and so
forth.

Thanks,
Dominik

[1] https://wiki.haskell.org/Typeclassopedia

Re: Typeclassopedia for numbers

Emil Hammarström
Hi Dominik,

Is the hierarchy shown on page 7 on the slides linked below what you are looking for?

http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/cs/Education/EDAN40/lectures/Types.4.pdf

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 4:29 PM Dominik Schrempf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

the Typeclassopedia[1] lists standard Haskell (algebraic ?) type classes and
their relations. I was wondering if a similar construct also exists for numeric
type classes (and probably also their instances), since I am always struggling
with how, e.g., 'Integral' number are related to 'Fractional' and so on and so
forth.

Thanks,
Dominik

[1] https://wiki.haskell.org/Typeclassopedia

Re: Typeclassopedia for numbers

Dominik Schrempf
Hi,

yes, that is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Can we include this
figure into the Wiki? If we cannot include the figure directly, I could produce
a similar plot, but I am not an expert in this issue.

Dominik

Emil Hammarström <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Dominik,
>
> Is the hierarchy shown on page 7 on the slides linked below what you are
> looking for?
>
> http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/cs/Education/EDAN40/lectures/Types.4.pdf
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 4:29 PM Dominik Schrempf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> the Typeclassopedia[1] lists standard Haskell (algebraic ?) type classes
>> and
>> their relations. I was wondering if a similar construct also exists for
>> numeric
>> type classes (and probably also their instances), since I am always
>> struggling
>> with how, e.g., 'Integral' number are related to 'Fractional' and so on
>> and so
>> forth.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dominik
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.haskell.org/Typeclassopedia

Re: Typeclassopedia for numbers

Emil Hammarström
The plot can be found in both the Haskell 98 and 2010 report in section 6.3.