Ultra Wide Monitors and Xmonad

Eyal Erez
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying one of these new ultra wide monitors
<http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors> that are 21:9.  At this width, it
doesn't really make sense for a single workspace to occupy the entire
screen.  I was wondering if there was a way to assign more than one
workspace to a single monitor?  Extra points for being able to add or
remove workspaces at will.  The goal is to have 2-3 workspaces on a single
monitor side by side.

Thank you,

--
*Eyal Erez <**oneself at gmail.com* <oneself at gmail.com>*>*

There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Ultra Wide Monitors and Xmonad

Brandon Allbery
On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying one of these new ultra wide monitors
> <http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors> that are 21:9.  At this width,
> it doesn't really make sense for a single workspace to occupy the entire
> screen.  I was wondering if there was a way to assign more than one
> workspace to a single monitor?  Extra points for being able to add or
> remove workspaces at will.  The goal is to have 2-3 workspaces on a single
> monitor side by side.

First off, make sure the X server supports it. Many of the new ultrawide
screens use multiple video connections and current xorg treats them as
different monitors, often with unfortunate results because it's not as
straightforward as putting half of the screen on one and half on the other.
Last I heard, they were still arguing over how to change xrandr and the low
level xinerama stuff to handle it properly, and what level of application
level (this includes xmonad) changes might be required to support them.

Given that, XMonad.Layout.LayoutScreens can be used to split screens into
chunks which xmonad will see as separate xrandr screens.

allbery.b at gmail.com                                  ballbery at sinenomine.net
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Ultra Wide Monitors and Xmonad

Mike Meyer
Look through the layout extensions available (
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Doc-Extending.html#g:5).
There are a number of options there you could use. IndependentScreens seems
to be exactly what you want, but there are  a couple that let you put
multiple layouts on a screen in various manners, and one of those might be
better for you.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Eyal Erez <oneself at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying one of these new ultra wide monitors
> <http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors> that are 21:9.  At this width,
> it doesn't really make sense for a single workspace to occupy the entire
> screen.  I was wondering if there was a way to assign more than one
> workspace to a single monitor?  Extra points for being able to add or
> remove workspaces at will.  The goal is to have 2-3 workspaces on a single
> monitor side by side.
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> *Eyal Erez <**oneself at gmail.com* <oneself at gmail.com>*>*
>
> There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Ultra Wide Monitors and Xmonad

Eyal Erez
Awesome, thank you very much.

It looks like I definitely need to do more research and see if this is well
support yet or not.