Unexpected lack of change in ghcspeed results

Unexpected lack of change in ghcspeed results

Reid Barton-2
Hi Joachim,

I was interested to see what effect the recent commit "Restore original alignment for info tables" (0dc7b36c) would have on performance. However, when I look at http://ghcspeed-nomeata.rhcloud.com/changes/?rev=0dc7b36c3c261b3eccf8460581fcd3d71f6e6ff6, I don't see the expected binary size increase (about 1%) that I got in local testing. Instead, the size increase appears to be attached to commit 0d92d9cb6d65fd00f9910c3f6f85bc6c68f5543b.

I notice that these two commits, along with three others, were committed at exactly the same time (Wed Jan 27 11:32:15 2016 +0100), presumably in a rebase. Could this be confusing ghcspeed?

Regards,
Reid Barton

Re: Unexpected lack of change in ghcspeed results

Joachim Breitner-2
Dear Reid,

Am Mittwoch, den 27.01.2016, 14:50 -0500 schrieb Reid Barton:

> I was interested to see what effect the recent commit "Restore
> original alignment for info tables" (0dc7b36c) would have on
> performance. However, when I look at http://ghcspeed-nomeata.rhcloud.
> com/changes/?rev=0dc7b36c3c261b3eccf8460581fcd3d71f6e6ff6, I don't
> see the expected binary size increase (about 1%) that I got in local
> testing. Instead, the size increase appears to be attached to commit
> 0d92d9cb6d65fd00f9910c3f6f85bc6c68f5543b.
>
> I notice that these two commits, along with three others, were
> committed at exactly the same time (Wed Jan 27 11:32:15 2016 +0100),
> presumably in a rebase. Could this be confusing ghcspeed?

heh, I’m surprised: Both that the ghcspeed server still runs, and that
people are still using it :-)

Indeed, you observe correctly, ghcspeed does not handle git rebases
well. That was one of the reasons why I reimplemented the server from
scratch. It now runs under perf.haskell.org, and there the expected
changes are attributed to the right commit:
https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/#revision/0dc7b36c3c261b3eccf8460581fcd3d71f6e6ff6

Is ghcspeed still linked somewhere, or was it an old bookmark from you
that led you there?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: Unexpected lack of change in ghcspeed results

Reid Barton-2
Oh! I guess the name ghcspeed was too memorable... and browser bar autocompletion did the rest. Sorry for the noise!

Regards,
Reid Barton

I noticed that https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/ still says "GHC Speed" in the page title and the page header, so now I don't feel quite so silly for making this mistake. If http://ghcspeed-nomeata.rhcloud.com/ is not supported any more, how about adding a notice to that page pointing people to https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/?

Regards,
Reid Barton

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Reid,

Am Mittwoch, den 27.01.2016, 14:50 -0500 schrieb Reid Barton:
> I was interested to see what effect the recent commit "Restore
> original alignment for info tables" (0dc7b36c) would have on
> performance. However, when I look at http://ghcspeed-nomeata.rhcloud.
> com/changes/?rev=0dc7b36c3c261b3eccf8460581fcd3d71f6e6ff6, I don't
> see the expected binary size increase (about 1%) that I got in local
> testing. Instead, the size increase appears to be attached to commit
> 0d92d9cb6d65fd00f9910c3f6f85bc6c68f5543b.
>
> I notice that these two commits, along with three others, were
> committed at exactly the same time (Wed Jan 27 11:32:15 2016 +0100),
> presumably in a rebase. Could this be confusing ghcspeed?

heh, I’m surprised: Both that the ghcspeed server still runs, and that
people are still using it :-)

Indeed, you observe correctly, ghcspeed does not handle git rebases
well. That was one of the reasons why I reimplemented the server from
scratch. It now runs under perf.haskell.org, and there the expected
changes are attributed to the right commit:
https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/#revision/0dc7b36c3c261b3eccf8460581fcd3d71f6e6ff6

Is ghcspeed still linked somewhere, or was it an old bookmark from you
that led you there?

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  Jabber: [hidden email]  • GPG-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Re: Unexpected lack of change in ghcspeed results

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 28.01.2016, 13:08 -0500 schrieb Reid Barton:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Reid Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Oh! I guess the name ghcspeed was too memorable... and browser bar autocompletion did the rest. Sorry for the noise!
> >
> I noticed that https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/ still says "GHC Speed"
> in the page title and the page header, so now I don't feel quite so
> silly for making this mistake. If http://ghcspeed-
> nomeata.rhcloud.com/ is not supported any more, how about adding a
> notice to that page pointing people to https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/

I simply turned it off now.

(I found it too troublesome to figure out how to set up a redirect
there, and also a waste of a free OpenShift application slot just for
that.)

Greetings,
Joachim