User manual

GHC - devs mailing list

I use this link to see the most up to date GHC user manual

https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/index.html

But I think I’m seeing on from 13 June.  It’s labelled as GHC 8.9.0.20190613 User's Guide

How come it’s so out of date?

Re: User manual

Ben Gamari-2
Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> I use this link to see the most up to date GHC user manual
> https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/index.html
> But I think I'm seeing on from 13 June.  It's labelled as GHC 8.9.0.20190613 User's Guide<https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/index.html>
> How come it's so out of date?

I had also noticed this; the doc-tarballs job [1] appears to be failing
due to missing PDF documentation from the Linux build. I have opened [2]
to track this.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/jobs/114650
[2] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/16890

Re: User manual

Matthew Pickering
It seems the the `doc-tarball` job stopped working because the
`-deb9-debug` variant uses the `validate` flavour which doesn't build
the documentation pdf.

How is best to fix this Ben? The dwarf build does have the PDF but is 350mb .

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 2:50 PM Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use this link to see the most up to date GHC user manual
>
> https://ghc.gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/doc/users_guide/index.html
>
> But I think I’m seeing on from 13 June.  It’s labelled as GHC 8.9.0.20190613 User's Guide
>
> How come it’s so out of date?
>
> Simon

Re: User manual

Ben Gamari-2
Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]> writes:

> It seems the the `doc-tarball` job stopped working because the
> `-deb9-debug` variant uses the `validate` flavour which doesn't build
> the documentation pdf.
>
> How is best to fix this Ben? The dwarf build does have the PDF but is 350mb .

A good question. I can see that we probably don't want to change the
validate flavour to set BUILD_SPHINX_PDF=YES; afterall, we don't want to
require contributors to install LaTeX just to locally test their
patches. However, perhaps BUILD_SPHINX_PDF ?= NO is a reasonable
trade-off and then override this in the CI configuration.

Cheers,

- Ben