Using The Cabal that comes with GHC 6.10 on Windows

Using The Cabal that comes with GHC 6.10 on Windows

Glurk
Hi,

I'm sure this should be very simple, but I can't find any obvious
documentation in the GHC doco that tells me how to get started with Cabal.

I've installed GHC 6.10.1, which comes with Cabal.
However, it doesn't seem to come in executable form ?
So, I'm not sure what I need to do - build the executable, presumably ?
I could download the prebuilt executable version of Cabal, but it seems
pointless to include it in GHC, and then go download another one.

Sorry for this stupid question !
Could anyone give me a hint on how to proceed ?

Thanks ! :)

Re: Using The Cabal that comes with GHC 6.10 on Windows

Andy Stewart-5
Glenn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this should be very simple, but I can't find any obvious
> documentation in the GHC doco that tells me how to get started with Cabal.
>
> I've installed GHC 6.10.1, which comes with Cabal.
> However, it doesn't seem to come in executable form ?
> So, I'm not sure what I need to do - build the executable, presumably ?
> I could download the prebuilt executable version of Cabal, but it seems
> pointless to include it in GHC, and then go download another one.
>
> Sorry for this stupid question !
> Could anyone give me a hint on how to proceed ?
Hi,

Default, GHC 6.10.1 just including Cabal, if you want use Cabal, you
have to install others package: HTTP, zlib, cabal-install.

Below the detail install method:
------------------------------> method start <------------------------------
1. Install HTTP package:
- Download http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/HTTP
- Unpack and execute command:
  ghc --make Setup && ./Setup configure && ./Setup build && sudo ./Setup install

2. Install zlib package:
- Download http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/zlib
- Unpack and execute command:
  ghc --make Setup && ./Setup configure && ./Setup build && sudo ./Setup install

3. Install cabal-install package:
- Download http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/cabal-install
- Unpack and execute command:
  ghc --make Setup && ./Setup configure && ./Setup build && sudo ./Setup install
------------------------------> method end   <------------------------------

Then you can use cabal.

Enjoy!

  -- Andy

Using The Cabal that comes with GHC 6.10 on Windows

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH
On 2009 Mar 7, at 5:42, Glenn wrote:
> I've installed GHC 6.10.1, which comes with Cabal.
> However, it doesn't seem to come in executable form ?

Cabal is a compiler-specific library, so it comes with the compiler.
cabal-install is a compiler-agnostic package on Hackage which installs
an executable that uses compiler-specific libraries to adapt to the
installed compiler(s).  So you want to download and install cabal-
install.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 195 bytes

Re: Using The Cabal that comes with GHC 6.10 on Windows

Christian Maeder-2
Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 2009 Mar 7, at 5:42, Glenn wrote:
>> I've installed GHC 6.10.1, which comes with Cabal.
>> However, it doesn't seem to come in executable form ?
>
> Cabal is a compiler-specific library, so it comes with the compiler.
> cabal-install is a compiler-agnostic package on Hackage which installs
> an executable that uses compiler-specific libraries to adapt to the
> installed compiler(s).  So you want to download and install cabal-install.

Right, and on Windows it is enough to download the executable
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-install-0.6.2/cabal.exe
from http://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html
and put into a directory, where it will be found, i.e. where ghc-pkg and
ghc have been installed.

Cheers Christian